Endpoint Protection

View Only

Endpoint Protection 14.3 RU1 compatibility with WiFi Explorer Pro

• 1.  Endpoint Protection 14.3 RU1 compatibility with WiFi Explorer Pro

Posted Feb 27, 2021 07:33 AM
    Edited by Michael Reid Feb 27, 2021 07:34 AM
    I was recently attempting to do some network captures to diagnose a WiFi problem using Intuitibits WiFi Explorer Pro on the latest macOS Big Sur. Unfortunately, when I started the capture it detected no networks at all. The only way I got this tool to work was to uninstall SEP 14. Now I don't have this issue on other machines running earlier versions of SEP 14.3 MP1 and I wondered if it was the new SEP Network Security. I wasn't sure how to disable this to test it.

I also reached out to the vendor about the issue since I saw that Apple's own Wireless Diagnostics is able to see networks in the Scan pane whereas WiFi Explorer Pro could not. The Intuitibits Support Team shared the following response:

"... please note that we use macOS CoreWLAN framework for scanning, so if SEP is somehow preventing WiFi Explorer from accessing or using CoreWLAN for Wi-Fi scanning, then we would suggest to contact Symantec and ask them to allow non-malicious 3rd party apps to use CoreWLAN. Apple Wireless Diagnostics uses a private framework from Wi-Fi scanning, different from CoreWLAN, which may explain why it works."