Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Issues with submitting big files to the False Positive portal

Posted Mar 25, 2020 05:59 AM
    Did anyone have issues with submitting bigger files to the False Positive portal?

https://symsubmit.symantec.com/

With bigger files I mean files more than 10 MB. The issue is the following. I had MSI file around 83 MB that was detected by Download Insight as WS.Reputation.1. I tried submitting it (as the portal says "Uploads may be a maximum size of 100MB") but it failed. Then I tried splitting the file in few files each 40 MB, didn't work, then each 30 MB - didn't work, even with 20 MB files didn't work because when you select the checkbox "I am not a robot", after less than a minute it shows "Wrong captcha". At the end I had to split this 83 MB file into 9 files (10 MB per file) and it worked.

So....Symantec....is there anything wrong with your system? Also isn't it possible when someone have issues with submitting a file and opens case with Symantec, the support to provide a share where the file can be uploaded and then Security response team to check it? At least the support refused to provide me such share so I had to play with this file to split is and submit 9 files.

• 2.  RE: Issues with submitting big files to the False Positive portal

Posted Apr 08, 2020 04:21 AM
    Any news from someone or from Symantec as this is a big problem for us?

• 3.  RE: Issues with submitting big files to the False Positive portal

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 08, 2020 09:34 AM
    Hi Stefan,

Large files must be split and then submitted as you have been trying. There is not a separate site to upload files it must all be done through the submit portal.

------------------------------
    John Owens
    Principal Product Support
    Symantec
    United States

• 4.  RE: Issues with submitting big files to the False Positive portal

Posted Apr 08, 2020 09:45 AM
    Hi John,

As I mentioned above, I did split the file and even when the separate files were each 30 MB or 40 MB still couldn't be uploaded.
    Looks like the problem is with the "Captcha" (I am not a robot checkbox). It expires too fast before the file is uploaded and I think this is the main issue here.
    Why the timeout is not increased or this option removed as at the moment it is really useless as the option to upload file up to 100 MB doesn't work.

Regards,
    Stefan

• 5.  RE: Issues with submitting big files to the False Positive portal

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 08, 2020 10:07 AM
    Hi Stefan,

You can split files smaller than that. I would suggest trying that first. As Support does not have control over that submission portal there will not be much we can do for you regarding that. I would suggest splitting the files into smaller chunks and then try again.

John Owens
    Symantec
    United States

• 6.  RE: Issues with submitting big files to the False Positive portal

Posted Apr 08, 2020 11:24 AM
    Ok but when it is written that we can submit files up to 100 MB, I would expect that I can really do it which is not true at the moment. 
    This has to be escalated somehow and to be fixed by Symantec, otherwise the submission portal gives misleading information. Who can check and fix this and can this be escalated via support case or other channels?

• 7.  RE: Issues with submitting big files to the False Positive portal

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 08, 2020 11:25 AM
    You would want to work with our Customer Service team for portal/website issues.

John Owens
    Symantec
    United States