Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Computer has been renamed

Posted May 11, 2020 05:30 PM
    Hi, 

I have this, well not a problem, but more like a mystery. There are 2 computers (out of 200) who constantly "saying" that they have been renamed or that they have virus definition older than 7 days.

Computer name is always the same, user cannot change it. And there is no date at virus definition... so how can Symantec knows it's old?
    Once again, today comp1 is "renamed" and tomorrow comp2. And comp2 today will be with old defeintions, tomorrow comp1... They both have latest product version (14.2.4815.1101).

• 2.  RE: Computer has been renamed

Posted May 13, 2020 05:32 AM
    Well, about the rename problem... I went yesterday to one of those computers and it was shutdown. I turned it on, and immediately when it was online Symantec send notifications that computer has been renamed. I connected the dots and the other time it sends notification, is when computer shuts down. It is on wifi, so no static ip address or dns... Latest virus definitions and version.

So, what's so different about that two computers? Anybody got a solution or hint at least...

------------------------------
    IT administrator

• 3.  RE: Computer has been renamed

Posted May 13, 2020 10:14 AM
    It sounds like two devices have the same unique identifier.  Typically this happens if a machine is "cloned" while the product is installed. 
    I don't recall if just removing the client and then reinstalling will generate a new unique ID, or if you need to run an additional tool.  There might still be the client side prep tool that you could also try.  That will remove the unique values without uninstalling SEP, intended for people who included SEP in an image the would be cloned.  The client will regenerate new values the next time it runs.

• 4.  RE: Computer has been renamed

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2020 10:21 AM

I agree with Ralph. It sounds like Duplicate Hardware IDs.

Can you run a Symdiag on the SEPM following this process and I can check for Duplicates for you?

How to collect full support logs for Support with the SymDiag utility

Thanks,

John Owens
    Principal Product Support
    Symantec
    United States

• 5.  RE: Computer has been renamed

Posted May 13, 2020 10:54 AM
    Well, this is from SEPM for these two problematic computers:
    It doesn't look to me they have anything the same...

IT administrator

• 6.  RE: Computer has been renamed

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2020 10:56 AM
    Strange. I would advise you to open a case with Support.

John Owens
    Principal Product Support
    Symantec
    United States