Ghost Solution Suite

View Only

KMS for earlier versions of Windows

• 1.  KMS for earlier versions of Windows

Posted Jul 19, 2021 02:18 AM
    Right off the bat, I'll reference a TechNet article that explains my situation exactly.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt297923(v=vs.85).aspx

"If you have already established a KMS infrastructure in your organization for an earlier version of Windows, you may want to continue using that infrastructure to activate computers running Windows 10 or Windows Server 2012 R2. Your existing KMS host must be running Windows 7 or later. To upgrade your KMS host, complete the following steps:
    1. Download and install the correct update for your current KMS host operating system. Restart the computer as directed.

2. Request a new KMS host key from the Volume Licensing Service Center.

3. Install the new KMS host key on your KMS host.

4. Activate the new KMS host key by running the smog.VBS script."

In my case, the KMS host is running 2008R2 and is hosting a couple of hundred desktops for KMS activation.  I am trying to activate a server running 2012R2. As instructed above I have updated the KMS host server with the update located here.  When I try activating the 2012R2 server I perform the following steps with the following results:

1. script slmgr.VBS /skms <host IP address>:<port>
           a. "Key Management Service machine name set to xxx.xx.x.x:1688 successfully"
    2. script slmgr.VBS /ato
           a. "Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
                Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
                Activating Windows(R), ServerStandard edition (b3ca044e-a358-4d68-9883-                 aaa2941aca99) ...
                Error: 0xC004F074 The Software Licensing Service reported that the computer could not be activated. No Key Management Service (KMS) could be contacted.             Please see the Application Event Log for additional information.
    3.  The application Event log  is eventID 12288 and pretty much restates the error              already given

So if it successfully acknowledges the KMS host but then says the KMS cannot be contacted to activate, what gives?  I've been all over the internet on this and spent a couple of hours with Microsoft and nobody seems to have the answer.  Step 2 from the Technet article suggests that Microsoft has a "new KMS key" for the 2008r2 host server after it has been updated but nobody wants to explain that to me without charging me $500 first.  I now am at the mercy of the genius that exists in this wonderful community.

**extra info:  The KMS host is activated using a KMS key from our volume agreement.  the server 2012 machine is using the GVLK key of D2N9P-3P6X9-2R39C-7RTCD-MDVJX as published by Microsoft here

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.