Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Symantec Ghost Solution Suite RU8 Default Backup, Create Command Issue

• 1.  Symantec Ghost Solution Suite RU8 Default Backup, Create Command Issue

Posted Nov 11, 2021 05:47 PM
    Hello,

My name is Erick Smith and I work for Spirit AeroSystems.  We upgraded from Patch RU3 to Patch RU8 over SQL Server 2016 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, set all of our required permissions, and is using Ghost in an enterprise environment on a domain.  We require hot imaging for our information systems.  After upgrading to Patch RU8, when we use the Mode, Create command with our systems, Ghost64.exe will create a full disk to image .gho backup instead of the previous partitions to .gho image.  When this is completed, in one case where we have a 4 TB disk and we need to restore with a 4 TB image, we cannot start a restore and get the error, "destination drive is too small" (per RU8's known issue).  Before, we would have a backup solution for a 4 TB disk with a 25 GB .gho backup (25 GB of used space only).  It seems to capture all of the free space and we did not use a command for doing so.

I even downgraded to patch RU3's Agent to see if there is an issue with the agent itself.  We still get the same results.

Is there a way that an engineer can investigate this issue?  Has anyone else experienced this will there be a solution to fixing it's default behavior?  Is there something else that I need to set after installing Ghost with SQL Server 2016?  Everything is working just fine.  The agents and the Windows 10 Enterprise computers all check in and report to the server.

Erick Smith
    Defense Security Architect

erick.o.smith@spiritaero.com
    smitheo1@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Symantec Ghost Solution Suite RU8 Default Backup, Create Command Issue

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 11, 2021 08:46 PM
    Hi Erick,

Is the disk drive encrypted by BitLocker or anything ? If disk drive is encrypted, ghost create the full disk size images.