Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  decryption not traversing all folders and files

Posted Sep 28, 2020 02:32 PM
    I'm trying to decrypt a folder and files.  A basic file share, maybe 2,000 files so not too big.
    I started at the top level decrypting the folder and it worked, but then when I looked at some files and folders they were still encrypted.
    I was able to decrypt them as well, but I'm confused.
    1.  Why the decryption didn't occur on all files and folders below the parent?
    2.  How can I decrypt all files or assure all have been decrypted.

FYI I'm using Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.4.2 MP4

• 2.  RE: decryption not traversing all folders and files

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 28, 2020 02:43 PM
    Edited by Blake Thomas Sep 28, 2020 02:43 PM
    Was it random files, specific file types or whole directories that didn't get decrypted?
    Were any of those files locked or in use by any application including Antivirus scans?
    Were any marked as Read-Only?
    Were there any other attributes common between all files that were not processed that you can tell?

When you decrypt, it should log all files it was unable to process and give a reason. That log file should be under %appdata%\Roaming\PGP Corporation\PGP\PGPlog*.txt in case you missed seeing anything on the screen during decryption.

• 3.  RE: decryption not traversing all folders and files

Posted Sep 28, 2020 03:03 PM
    It's whole directories and sometimes individual files.
    We do have McAfee for virus protection.

The attributes do have Read-only listed.  I checked but that's for all files, the ones I was successfully able to decrypt and the ones still encrypted.

Thank you for pointing me to the log location.

I think I figured it out, but I don't know an easy solution.
    So it looks like the folders or some files are Unlocked.
    Once I manually unlocked them, then did the decryption they are now decrypted.
    Now the problem of how to identify anything that still needs to be decrypted besides manually looking through hundreds of folders.