Endpoint Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

PGP Encryption

• 1.  PGP Encryption

Posted Sep 30, 2014 06:07 PM

Hi All,

I need to do PGP encryption using the Public Key of a Vendor.We are using PGP Command Line 9.9 build 110 in our UNIX machine.Let us know the sequence of steps which we should follow.We are trying to do the following activity:

1) IMPORT the public key 

2) SIGN the public key

3)TRUST the public key

4)Encrypt the file using the public key

pgp --import "Bob Smith.asc"

pgp --sign-key <user> --signer <signer> --sig-type <type> --passphrase <pass> [options]

pgp --set-trust key --trust complete

pgp -e report.doc -r "Bob Smith" --output newreport.pgp-v

However,

I am not able to import the public key.It's showing the following error:

4007:key failed signature check

~Thanks and Regards,

Arun

• 2.  RE: PGP Encryption

Posted Sep 30, 2014 06:20 PM

It may just be a warning, not an error.  Did another line also appear stating (0:key imported as 0xXXXXXXXXXX Key_Name)?

When a key is imported, it is checked for known trusted signatures from other keys, which can verify the key automatically.  Usually, the key is actually imported.  Do the following to check the keyring:
    pgp --list-keys

Does the key you tried to import appear on that list?  If so, move on to signing the key.  If not, let me know and we can go from there.

• 3.  RE: PGP Encryption

Posted Jun 17, 2020 05:49 PM
    Hello,

I am getting the same error as you mentioned earlier.
    Though I get the line stating (0:key imported as 0xXXXXXXXXXX Key_Name) but when listing the keys by --list-keys, IAM not able to see the imported key in my list.

Could you please help me and let me know what I'm doing wrong?

• 4.  RE: PGP Encryption

Posted Oct 01, 2014 04:08 PM

I am able to import the Key.Now what should I do to use the PGP encryption.

• 5.  RE: PGP Encryption

Posted Oct 01, 2014 04:47 PM

Sign the key.  Format is as follows, your key is the signer:
    pgp --sign-key 0x12345EC1 --signer 0xXXXXXXXX --sig-type local -p YourPassphrase

--sig-type is the signature type: local, exportable, meta-introducer, or trusted
    introducer.  Usually I recommend local unless you plan on distributing this key later to others, or you want to automatically verify keys that have been signed by the imported key in the future.

Then set the trust:
    pgp --set-trust 0x12345EC1 --trust complete

Only use the complete trust if you are absolutely certain that it belongs to the appropriate person/company.  In most cases, it is easy to verify (e.g. Bob emailed you his public key, so you know that the email associated with the key should be correct).  If nothing else, you can call the other party and confirm the KeyID with them.

Now it should be a simple matter of encrypting:
    pgp -e YourFileName -r 0x12345EC1 --output NewFileName.pgp -v

You can use User ID's instead of key ID's in most places if desired.  The -v at the end just provides a verbose output of the process to be displayed in the command prompt.  If you would like this to be output in a file for future reference, you can also add this to the end:
    --output-file OutputFileName.txt 

• 6.  RE: PGP Encryption

Posted Oct 01, 2014 05:11 PM

How to know if I have a I have a PGP key pair to SIGN/TRUST. Is there a command or so.Do I need to contact my UNIX sytem administrator ?

Alternatively, I tried creating one of my own by executing the following command:

pgp --gen-key "FullName<full.name@xxx.com>" --key-type rsa --encryption-bits 2048 --signing-bits 2048 --passphrase 'mypassphrase' --expiration-date 2024-12-31

But moment I do so ,I am not able to see the key(0x12345EC1 ) using the following command

pgp --list-keys

Let me know ,How to Sign/Trust in this situation.

• 7.  RE: PGP Encryption

Posted Oct 01, 2014 05:17 PM

It may be overwriting the keyring file, causing the other key to disappear.  Import the 0x12345EC1 key after you generate your own keypair.  If that doesn't work, let me know.  Screenshots would be helpful if you can get some during the process.

• 8.  RE: PGP Encryption

Posted Oct 01, 2014 06:03 PM

Can we have a mail Id or a number where I can reach,I would be happy to send you an email or call.This forum is bit public.We are the licensed user of the product and sadly,I am trying to figure solution through open forums.

It would have been great If we can get hold of an expert  from symantec who will respond to our email queries.

~Thanks and Regards

Arun

• 9.  RE: PGP Encryption

Posted Oct 01, 2014 06:59 PM

Arun,

Click on my profile, and send me a private message or email.  I would be happy to get more in depth with you and help you get this working.

• 10.  RE: PGP Encryption

Posted Oct 02, 2014 02:47 PM

Sent you a private message as advised.Thanks for helping out.

• 11.  RE: PGP Encryption

Posted Oct 02, 2014 03:06 PM

$ pgp --import "nxxxxx.XXXXX.com.asc"
    0x12345EC1:import key (4007:key failed signature check)
    nxxxxx.XXXXX.com.asc:import key (0:key imported as 0x12345EC1 nxxxxx.XXXXX.com)

$ pgp --list-keys

I am not seeing the key when I execute the pgp --list-keys command.

• 12.  RE: PGP Encryption

Posted Oct 02, 2014 06:25 PM

Hi All,

The issue is fixed, there seems to be issue with my current PGP version(PGP Command Line 9.9 build 110) where it would fail to import the public key properly unless it was in the home directory of the installed software directory, or the command was run from the home directory.

~Thanks 

Arun

• 13.  RE: PGP Encryption

Posted Dec 02, 2020 08:26 PM
    Is this issue solved in newer versions ?
    I face the same issue using version 0.4.2.61-MP2.

And it was solved by following you recomendation.

BR,