Endpoint Encryption

View Only

Decrypting Lenovo 10.4.1 MP2

Lamar Nelson's profile image
Lamar Nelson posted Dec 01, 2020 10:42 AM
I have a Lenovo laptop that is immediately crashing after I put in the credentials at the Endpoint Protection screen.  I'm hoping to try and decrypt it so I can repair the OS.

I've tried to create a USB recovery disk using KB 181479 and KB 163333 but I keep getting an error stating that no operating system is found.  I found another thread elsewhere that suggested using the iso located in the PGP directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop\bootg.iso).  Using that on a bootable USB just gets me a black screen.

I know the software is End of Service but was wondering if there was anyone with some insight who might assist.
Blake Thomas's profile image
Broadcom Employee Blake Thomas
First, you have to determine if your Lenovo is using a UEFI or legacy BIOS boot configuration, then build the appropriate media. The ISO in the PGP directory is BIOS only if memory serves so it sounds like you need UEFI media if I were to guess.

I've always had success with WinPE recovery disks, and don't much fiddle with the other recovery methods.  Did you download the "Customizing the Windows PE for Symantec Drive Encryption 10.4 Tech Note.pdf" from here and review it? It explains how to build one. You're going to need a different working machine that you can install the Windows ADK and WinPE addon, as well as 10.4.1 MP2 version of SED installed to it.