Idea Details

Selectively discover devices from other data sources

Last activity 06-13-2019 10:00 AM
ICS Supportteam's profile image
04-03-2014 07:56 AM

There is a check box in the DA datasource to activate “Discover devices from other datasources”.

If you enable this, DA will automatically discover devices from other devices. However it should be possible to switch on/off discovery per data source.

Example 1: SPECTRUM and NFA are additional datasources besides DA
and the customer may want to

- discover the SPECTRUM devices but
- don't discover the NFA routers

Example2: SPECTRUM and eHealth are additional datasources besides DA. eHealth polls site A, DA polls site B. The customer does want DA to poll teh SPECTRUM devices but not the devices from site A, as this would mean double polling.

Comments

08-24-2018 02:38 AM

Hi Dan,

that's brilliant! Many thanks for converting ideas into useful features. Our customers really appreciate this.

Mike

08-23-2018 04:47 PM

I am happy to say this is FINALLY delivered with CA Performance Management 3.6.1 that has just been posted to support site. Thanks for everyone who took time to share your feedback on the importance of this feature. Some of these take time but we don't give up and are happy to deliver for you!

01-16-2018 11:31 AM

Sitting in release planning for our next release and this item made the cut - stay tuned for upcoming EOS review to follow progress. I am so happy to finally be able to move this to the next stage - thank you for not giving up on this one!

10-08-2017 04:04 PM

Thank you very much Martin you are an excellent partner and advocate for your customers - this item is under consideration as we begin our release planning for the next release of CAPM - stay tuned!

Daniel Holmes

VP, Product Management

CA Technologies | 273 Corporate Dr Suite 200 | Portsmouth, NH 03801

Office: +1 603 334 2130 | Mobile: +1 603 502 5004 | Daniel.Holmes@ca.com

<mailto:Daniel.Holmes@ca.com>[CA]<http://www.ca.com/us/default.aspx>[Twitter]<http://twitter.com/CAInc>[Slideshare]<http://www.slideshare.net/cainc>[Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/CATechnologies>[YouTube]<http://www.youtube.com/user/catechnologies>[LinkedIn]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/1372?goback=.cps_1244823420724_1>[Google]<https://plus.google.com/CATechnologies>[Google+]<http://www.ca.com/us/rss.aspx?intcmp=footernav>

10-06-2017 11:15 AM

Hi Dan,

let me explian the scenario at our customer again:

- Today they use DA and SPECTRUM as data sources in CAPC and that works fine.
The SPECTRUM elements will be discovered from DA (if you select option "Discover devices from otherdata sources") which is ok.

- DA and NFA however doesn't work with CAPC for the following reason:

The customers has about 1000 routers worldwide which are operated by a provider and the customer has no SNMP access to these routers.

So as soon as he adds NFA as an additional data source, DA will automatically begin and try to poll these routers which will produce alot of polling errors

- The customer isn't interested in SNMP polling of these routers anyway, but only wants to report NFA's netflow data in CAPC

So the customer needs the ability in DA to select which of the data sources shall be SNMP discovered & polled and which don't.

Best Regards,

Martin

10-06-2017 08:57 AM

Hey Dan.  In my opinion, I'd like to see either a toggle switch or even the ability to define some filters for each individual data source that defines what DA does or doesn't monitor.  In our case, we only want devices that Spectrum discovers to be monitored.  We don't want anything at all from NFA or ADA.  I imagine each customer will have slightly different variations on what they'd like, so at the root of it I guess I'd like to see the inventory sync be a bit less black and white.  Give us some colors please!

10-05-2017 09:55 AM

As we now begin shifting our R&D focus more on NetOps I think the behavior across products is something we want to look more carefully at. We've done some really great things with this platform  but customer feedback suggests this is one area we want to look at.

If i understand the concern its not a problem that our internal sync process maintains a central inventory repository of reconciled devices and configuration items from all the data sources but that some of the services (a.k.a Data Aggregator are a pain to configure to do or not do certain workloads with items in that repository. In this case it sounds like you would like to say in the Data Aggregator data source if NFA is the only data source publishing an item DON'T poll it.

Thanks for being persistent our team is committed to making this the best solution on the planet for Network Operations and Analytics.

06-06-2017 09:32 AM

This request is over 3 years old and has 26 upvotes.  I know the criteria is 30 to get a response, but can we make an exception here?  Too late to get this on the plate for PM 3.2?

03-02-2017 11:24 AM

I have a similar request from a large NA pharma - wants to integrate Spectrum but not discover from NFA and UCM.

08-18-2016 05:17 PM

OK.  This one has just cropped up for me.  We absolutely need to be able to control which data sources PC syncs its device inventory from.  In our case, we only want to sync devices from Spectrum.  We do *not* want devices or discovered devices from NFA or ADA.  How fast can we get something in to fix this major oversight?

03-18-2016 05:39 AM

Hi Siegi,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this customer is situated in the Middle East, which results in the cultural difference introducing one big blocker/constraint - you literally cannot rely on any manual tasks. There's a very big chance that if something is not done automatically it won't be done at all.

As a workaround I have introduced a couple of firewall rules on the Data Collectors, which prevent outgoing traffic to other than customers private subnets.

Cheers

Mike

03-18-2016 04:52 AM

I think with switching off the schedule for the automatically created discover profiles, you are save, that those devices are not discovered.

Another idea would be, create the profile, but don't schedule it. (should be a manual task to switch it on)

In general, it might be helpful to create a discovery profile for every data source and/or tenant/domain, so in Mikes case one for ADA and one for NFA, as probably most of the customers do not want to discover all servers, which are monitored by ADA. Then one could switch on the NFA and off the ADA profile.

CA PM is aware of this and is trying to find the best way to handle this.

Cheers,

Siegi

03-04-2016 07:25 AM

We had the same "pain" with NFA - we were not interested in discovering the Devices & Interfaces from NFA in CAPC, or let's say, not all of them at the same time (some customers of our customer are "buying" for SNMP Data Statistics AND Flow Stats, other only for Flow Stats).

We disabled the discover profile and automated the Discovery of NFA Devices in another way - as this all or nothing strategy of "Discover Devices from other data sources" is not meaningful.

In your case, does ADA integration automatically feed the IPs into the discover profile ? on your side with NFA, it does, but the discover profile did not run automatically and even has not assigned an SNMP Profile per default - so this was still a manual task to carry out. That "helped", as the devices where not discovered automatically... Otherwise it had caused some real pain on customer side...

02-26-2016 07:40 AM

Dear Product Management team,

this is not a "nice thing to have", IMHO this not being implemented results in a fatal design failure.

Let me explain:

I'm currently working on a customer assignment, where we implemented multiple data sources in CA PM. Besides Data Aggregator there’s also NFA, Spectrum and ADA.

- we definitely need to use the option to discover devices known by other data sources for NFA and Spectrum.

- On the other hand we definitely need to turn this feature off for ADA, as this is monitoring traffic on the core switch (using the badass MTP device) and thus feeding the default discovery profile with thousands of public IP addresses

- And as the discovery profile is scheduled to run daily, I can imagine this causing a lot of network overhead traffic (eventhough there’s a firewall in place, which makes this destinations unreachable for the Data Collectors)

Best regards

Mike

03-11-2015 12:02 PM

I have also received this request more then once. The Data Aggregator allows you to discover devices from all data sources or none. Customers want the ability to choose which data sources in CAPC will be discovered by the Data aggregator.

04-04-2014 05:22 AM

This request is not eHealth related, in this case the NFA is involved.
If the option "“Discover devices from other datasources” is selected
the DA would discover devices from SPectrum (global collection) and
from the NFA.

How can you configure that only Spectrum devices should be discovered
but not the NFA routers ?

04-04-2014 05:18 AM

This button (check box actually) does not control polling of eHealth or any other datasource. It simply configures CA PC to receive updates and sync inventory reported by other datasources. If you don't want doublepolling you can disable this in eHealth.