Idea Details

VMware Probe - Prevent 'all' VM's from discovery

Last activity 06-13-2019 10:00 AM
Hath91's profile image
06-30-2015 09:53 AM

Currently, the 'vmware' probe discovers all VM's on ESXi hosts, or in vCenter instance. As a result, if the vCenter server happens to be managing a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) environment, thousand of VM's show up in the UMP console. It would be nice if there was an option in the probes configuration to choose weather or not to discover all VM's and add the VM's, that need to be monitored, a la carte.

Comments

02-06-2019 11:40 AM

Try the following Keys in the <setup> Section . I believe this stops the discovery of all VMs if your just interested in host & vcenter metrics and monitoring. 

show_vms = no

disable_vm_system_perf_metrics = yes

08-09-2018 05:36 AM

Three years later and we're still struggling with this. There are some workarounds like giving specific permissions and this: https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/vmware-probe-discovers-vm-s-that-the-user-has-no-access-to/KB000093067

But that implies quite a bit of modifications in the customer's vcenter, not to speak of extra licensing because resource pools are not available in all editions.

Surely there must be a better solution by now?

06-19-2018 09:28 AM

Any update here?

02-12-2018 04:44 AM

02-08-2018 06:17 AM

Yu, I will inquire with product management on this one and ask them to comment.

02-07-2018 10:48 PM

Afraid to tell you - Andy is no longer with CA Technologies.

MelissaPotvin advise !

02-07-2018 11:37 AM

09-18-2017 10:37 AM

UIM Product team any update

08-23-2017 07:04 AM

When we can expect this feature to be released .This idea has been created in July 2015 and it has maximum votes too.It is planned ?

01-15-2017 05:18 PM

Not sure it works that way, you need to have the ESX and VM's discovered using the vmware probe to have the relationship mapped . Having only robot installed on the VM and not discovered by vmware probe will not create any relationship.

If you already have relationship mapped using vmware probe and later disable further vm discovery using "show_vms" then you should be able to see the relationship mapping done even for existing VM's after Spectrum integration. 

In summary you need to have the VM relationships mapped through  vmware probe to have it reflect in Spectrum after integration.

01-15-2017 10:50 AM

In case if have servers discovered with vmware probe and robot is also individually there means  ,if i am disabling vms in vmware probe whether the severs installed with robots  will get the relationship with esx whenever it is integrated with Spectrum ?

01-13-2017 04:13 PM

Not with this flag. Finer grained control requires restricting the monitoring user's view permissions or using the new UIM global blacklist.

01-13-2017 08:19 AM

By any workaround only particular VM's can be ignored by using expressions?

01-10-2017 11:33 AM

That's correct

01-10-2017 10:55 AM

By enabling this hope we cant monitor the vm guests itself right ?

01-10-2017 08:58 AM

Thanks for posting this tech article, this seems to be a viable work around, unless one of the VM's being monitored is the vCenter VM or maybe View Connection Brokers and/or Security Servers, etc. We have our fingers crossed that the new discovery_server probe will provide more control on what or not to discover.

01-09-2017 04:27 PM

While we wait for this to show up the probe UI, take a look at this knowledge base article.

11-29-2016 02:33 PM

Perfect, thank you Andy! I understand that there may be a way to 'blacklist' in the upcoming versions of UIM and/or discovery_server, but ultimately, it would be nice to be able to control this from the VMware probe.

Regards,

Brett

11-29-2016 01:18 PM

Have added this to the backlog for consideration, will need to further evaluate to determine when we could get this in.

04-15-2016 10:45 AM

Up voting this idea as well as we have many clients who are utilizing VDI's and this is causing problems within UIM and SOI.

When the VDI's are first spun up, they have an IP and their device name is associated with either the vcenter box or another machien. Then discovery_server picks up on this and associates this new machine to an already existing machine w/in the DB since its from the same hub and has the same device name. You can check this as if you go into UMP - USM - Inventory and look up your vcenter box. You should have a section "Other IP's". In my instance it had 100+ additional IP associated with this vcenter instance.

We use SOI so on the SOI side, it picks up on these new VDI entries getting created w/in the CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEM table and correlates these new entries to the existing machine. Thus when an alert get triggered the alerts are associated to the wrong machine pointing to the vdi and not the actual robot that the VDI was assigned upon first start up.

Need a way to filter out completely only specific VM's based on any property we choose. This is going going to be more of a bigger issue in the future when more company utilize VDI's w/in their vmware implementation.

03-30-2016 11:18 AM

It would also be nice to be able to auto populate based on a naming convention or other criteria. 

10-16-2015 08:23 AM

Hi,

There are different vmware machine entries in OriginA via vmware prob and now Robots are required to be installed on VMs for advanced monitoring parameters. However Robot creates a new entry type as Host. So there are now 2 different entries in the UIM solution for same host name, one as Host Type (via Robot) and another as Virtual Machine (via vmware probe).

I am thinking to delete Virtual Machines entries using CS Keys. Is it good to go ahead or there is something else as best practise?

Also customer wants to install robot on VMs under OriginB however VCenter & ESX Hosts are in OriginA. Will it create issue if virtual machines and (ESX Host & V Center) are under different origin?

10-05-2015 11:01 AM

Hi Brett,

This is what my VMware admin told me:

We have our environments set up within different vCenter clusters, therefore, we simply added READ-ONLY to the specific IDs on their respective clusters. Folders would work if you had all of your VMs within one cluster, but you may also need to give direct permissions the Datacenter and Host objects as well.

hth,

Kevin

09-24-2015 09:47 AM

Hi Kevin,

Can you please provide more specifics on what vCenter role/permissions you used to prevent unmonitored system from infiltrating the Ump database? Did you use folder permissions?

Regards,

Brett

09-17-2015 09:24 AM

This worked for us. We now have two VMware probes (one for production and one for non-production hosts) using different user-id's that have access to view subsets of the VMware universe via Vcenter. The filtering and access are controlled in Vcenter.

Kevin

09-16-2015 07:05 PM

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or not, but the "show_vms" raw configure key will control whether the vmware probe publishes guests to discovery_server.  This is an "all or nothing" setting, but it might help.

07-27-2015 03:36 PM

I suppose the idea I created is similar, you just elaborated a lot better. Regardless, maybe this will help kick start this faster and create more traction

Please up-vote Allow VMWare to Remove Auto-Monitors or prevent from finding certain systems too. Thank you!

- Alberto

07-07-2015 04:21 PM

We've asked for a new user account that only has access to view certain containers within Vcenter, in hopes that'll eliminate collecting information about all of the VDI stuff. We have not tried it yet, but think it should work.

I think having a filter within the VMware probe itself would provide better control for the UIM admin.

Kevin

06-30-2015 11:09 AM

Scalability is another use case:  this way you could use multiple probes to poll a massive vCenter environment.  Also, some organizations will have production, and QA/testing environments in the same vCenter but they'll be in different datacenters/folders.  This way you can disable monitoring of the QA/testing environment hierarchy in the production monitoring environment and use a separate instance to look at just QA/testing but not production. 

06-30-2015 10:33 AM

And in case there's some head scratching about other use cases, what if I have a VMware host support group that uses UIM and manages the VM host hardware and a separate "Windows Server" group that uses Whats Up Gold to manage the Windows VM guests? My UIM people don't want to see the pollution of Windows servers in their views.

-Garin