Idea Details

XML schema description for AE export file format

Last activity 6 days ago
Michael Lowry's profile image
04-13-2018 04:35 PM

The XML file format for Automation Engine imports/exports provides an open an easily intelligible interchange format for moving AE objects from one system to another. The layout of the file and the names of the elements are relatively straightforward. However, the file schema is no longer documented, and a complete XSD is not available.

Developers of applications that generate, change, validate, or extract data from AE XML files will benefit from having access to a complete and accurate schema description. E.g., prior to deployment of a batch of AE objects, it may be necessary to validate that all object names adhere to a specific naming convention, or that the Generate at runtime option is enabled for executable objects. While the schema may be obvious in some places, it is not alway so.

The use of an XML Schema Definition (XSD) eliminates confusion and ambiguity regarding the details of an XML schema, and provides a standard way to validate adherence of an XML document to the schema specification. Further, it facilitates integration with other applications that must read or write XML files adhering to the schema.See also these discussion threads in the Automic Community:Legacy enhancement request ID: PMPER-450, opened 23 May 2015.

Comments

6 days ago

Perhaps now that Broadcom has acquired CA, the combined company will have the resources and skills necessary to deliver an updated XML schema description for the AE export file format. Here’s hoping.

05-18-2018 12:47 AM

I started a document to store all I learn about the structure of the AE XML schema. Feel free to add your findings.

04-20-2018 03:27 PM

I hope that CA is committed to to open and documented file formats, and that the company takes this request seriously. It has been almost three years since we opened this request, so I also hope we can get an update on this idea before too long. Thanks!