Idea Details

SDM Multi-language support

Last activity 05-31-2019 02:04 AM
Sheila Goncalves's profile image
02-18-2014 03:29 PM

Hi Team!

Customer has currently SDM 12.7PB

Customer Embraer asked to raise this IDEA related to Multi-Language.
They are already aware that they can have secondary servers in each country (France, China, Brazil, for example) with the local language of that country.

But what customer is complaining is that the information in the database is only in the language that CA SDM was installed. For example: if Service Desk was installed in English, the spelling, search in knowledge base,  SDM dictionary are only in English. And they do not see this as a full solution of Multi-Language.

Do you know if we have anything planned for CA Service Desk to have a fully Multi-Language as customer would like to have? If yes, is there any target date for this?

Customer is not asking a commitment date, they only want to get an estimate date.

Thank you in advance,
Sheila

Comments

06-19-2017 07:28 AM

This idea is being Wish-Listed for potential inclusion in a future release.

Before this idea moves to the next stage (Currently Planned or Not Planned), I would like to invite community members to please provide additional input and/or vote. Please note that Wish-listed ideas are selected for inclusion in a release based on multiple factors including - number of votes from community members, alignment of idea with a release's themes and goals, complexities and risks involved in implementing the idea, so a timeframe for availability of the idea as a product feature/functionality cannot be provided. Additionally, the implementation of your idea may not be exactly as requested and/or may be delivered in a new user experience. 

09-14-2016 04:14 PM

Excellent idea gonsh01

08-16-2016 02:06 PM

Has CA moved any closer to providing a solution to this important issue? In a country where we are legally required to provide service in both official languages (English and French), we are increasingly receiving feedback on the lack of french operability, especially simple tools like a spell check. We are using a role based language solution, so surely it cannot be that difficult to point a french role to a french dictionalry.

03-09-2016 09:45 AM

The world s is more and more international...

Voting this up as multi-language is more and more a MUST have to keep customer base on SDM.

As Gutis proposed I would like to see few languages supported out of the box (I can understand that there is some invest for those and this is acceptable for me to provide a limited set) but the possibility to add new languages to the catalog by simple step like providing the necessary xml file.

/J

10-01-2015 09:28 AM

Great idea Sheila,  We need it.

04-21-2015 04:08 PM

It would be even better to allow to add additional custom language that is not officialy supported.

09-19-2014 04:48 AM

Translation of database content would be very difficult to achieve I would imagine. I understand the issue about the search dictionary in EBR search, however it is possible to move knowledge (and ticket) search indexing external to the CA SDM product whilst retaining the content within the SDM repositories by making use of a combination of Crawler Surface and Federated Search.

We are doing this by indexing knowledge content within a Sharepoint server. Sharepoint search can support multiple languages (including multi-byte and languages that do not use white space to delimit words). We index the SDM content in Sharepoint using the crawler functionality in Sharepoint to crawl the SDM r12.9 crawler surface and then use a federated search adapter in SDM to search the index in Sharepoint. This removes the limitations of the EBR search for us.

You could actually even use an opensource search engine such as Apache Solr (with Nutch as the crawler) but you would need to write a custom adapter for federated search. I have successfully indexed SDM content in Solr using the crawler surface out of the box in the past but didn't want to have to write the adapter and because Sharepoint is well used within the company we stuck with that.

As for the need for secondary servers to support multiple languages - I think this is a fairly inflexible and not necessarily cost efficient way of supporting the requirement. Applications I have worked on and developed in the past have used language specific "resource" files with the default being configurable but usually en_GB. The application would retrieve the locale information from the clients browser and select the appropriate language resource which would then be used to transform the html response by injecting the resource key values into the placeholders in the source files. The downside to this I guess, over the current CA solution, is that there is a performance hit on the web servers because the pages are more dynamic.

09-19-2014 04:04 AM

I'm afraid this is simply a must have. Many competitors offer multilingual capabilities without the need for installing 25 secondary servers and sometimes tricky customizations to even attempt to establish an interface in such language. Oftentimes the limited multilingual support (the typical list of 8 languages CA provides) is a showstopper during the sales process. We would surely appreciate the addition of more languages and that for all Service Management tools (Service Desk, Catalog, OpenSpace, ...). Currently these tools offer interfaces in different languages and also detect the language differently. The problem is of course that any unsupported language is one too many, so I too think there is a lot of work ahead to close that gap.

Thinking of multi language support in SDM: it would also be great to see KB content in the language of the end user. The same goes for Announcements, and maybe even more fields (e.g. description of a CI)

A small afterthought that may be relevant here too: when starting to support more languages, it may be worth looking at other attributes: what to do with currency? e.g. the cost element for a service option in Service Catalog: why would that only be in USD? It is perfectly possible to imagine that a hardware provider uses different prices for items per country/region as an example (so a "simple" conversion system to support multiple currencies may not be sufficient).

08-28-2014 03:44 PM

Hi Sheila,
We looked at a design to provide advanced multi-language capabilities for SDM a couple of years back. Overall it was a pretty elegant solution to the problem of textual information being stored in a central DBMS. The problem with that design was that it would require a very significant investment to put it into place and would cause some significant DBMS changes - adding to the impact of moving to the later version.  At that time, the feedback that we were getting about using the secondary server approach you mention was that it was giving customers "good enough" multi-language capabilities. The combination of the cost/impact of the new design being large and the impression that the gaps in the current approach were not show-stoppers came together to push this item down on the relative priority of the product backlog.

I have seen more requests for this in last year than previously and it sounds like the the desire for closing the gaps is increasing.

For the community members, if this item is impacting your use of the product, please add your vote to this idea.

-Dale