Idea Details

CAPC install should use $IATEMPDIR  correctly on LINUX

Last activity 06-13-2019 10:04 AM
ICS Supportteam's profile image
07-26-2017 03:55 AM

On LINUX systems users can use the $IATEMPDIR variable during install to redirect temporary files to another directory with plenty of space, instead of using /tmp.

CAPC is using this variable partially and storing some files in $IATEMPDIR but in addition upto 4GB of data in /tmp.

The instal should consequently use this variable, store temporary files in $IATEMPDIR and not use /tmp at all.

(ICS#05001615).

Comments

01-16-2019 11:22 AM

WIth PM 3.6.3 the environment variable IATEMPDIR is correctly used (idea should be not NEW anymore ......)

11-14-2018 03:34 PM

Requiring and using /tmp for software installation is a bad thing.  I just ran into this issue today when trying to install CA Performance Center.  The standard config here for /tmp is about 1GB.  Also, due to security STIG enforcement, files placed into /tmp cannot have the execution bit set.  The installer should have an option which allows the use of a different filesystem for "temporary" files (like /var/tmp, or something else). 

I've opened a support case for my install, but don't know how this is going to work out.

07-28-2017 05:35 PM

Shouldn't  use /tmp for anything - permanent or temporary.  Should be user-definable.  Our /tmp filesystem is not adjustable and only has 500mb.  

07-28-2017 04:06 PM

Thanks for the idea.  Have others run into problems with insufficient /tmp space when installing CAPM components?  If so, would you leverage this option if it was available?