Idea Details

A GUI SmartStor administration tool

Last activity 05-31-2019 01:52 AM
Anon Anon's profile image
09-27-2012 09:09 AM

Problem Statement: SmartStor grows. Performance of my EMs degrade. Using the SmartStor tools is a very long and painful process and does not give a good visibility of what one is actually doing.

I want a GUI to:
_Show metrics and their associated disk usage and sort those
_Show Agents and their associated disk usage and sort those
_Have the ability to enter agent and metric regexps, get a table as a result, being able to select rows and do a "delete all historical data older than X days".

Comments

05-05-2018 06:07 AM

Great idea,
very useful in heavily loaded environments.

Thank you

10-26-2017 07:56 AM

The SmartStor tool will help the administrators maintain the Cluster/s healthy and stable. Unfortunately, the lack of a SS tool like this contributes to the stability of the cluster and hence the reputation of the product.  Due to the lack of response and the support this essential function of the product, we are now in process of migrating things from Introscope to New Relic.  I hate to say it but this is the response from customers when they are not listened to what their needs and pains really are.

10-25-2017 06:28 PM

This should be resurrected.  There has been a need to have this tool for years and there always seems to be a reason not to do it, or a higher priority to do something else.  Being able to clean up the database and view the contents are just two of the functions that would be useful.

10-17-2016 02:09 PM

Good Discussion by Fred, Florian. Andreas, Manish, and others. It helps clarify what the real business requirements are.

08-25-2015 10:58 AM

This is not currently planned for the foreseable future, but remains a very much needed functionality, I'm marking it as wish-listed for now.

08-04-2015 06:27 AM

Thanks for the hint Florian.

I vote for the idea.

Here’s the Idea I created: https://communities.ca.com/ideas/103039946

Lutz

08-01-2015 01:07 PM

Hi Lutz,

I fully agree with you. If you search the Ideas, you will actually find one I posted a few years back that asked for the exact same thing, because “all metrics are not born equal”.

For example, keeping SQL metrics for one year is absolutely useless and a waste of processing power. However keeping Frontend transaction response time is a lot more interesting to keep on longer periods, that way you can say “My app is faster/slower than last year”.

Here’s the Idea I created: https://communities.ca.com/ideas/103039946

Regs,

Florian.

07-31-2015 01:13 PM

you are absolutely correct much more needs to be baked-in (modular of course) instead of tools.  A little bit of enhancing tools using core APIs and building on top is a good compromise adding another new tool, not so much.

The other day, while preparing for a meeting, I was thinking that we spend lot of time asking for band-aids because we are bleading now and there is a (small) chance to get an incremental fix for one of the wound.

The large IT organization management are now "demanding" not to get hurt in the first place and totally "hands off" automatation. These conversations are harder and take more efforts: to get accurate feedback you need to show the vision then ask "what don't  you like" away from the "what do you need".  The need is likely always about stop my bleading now.
10+ years ago I bought an IBM book "Autonomic", I really thought it would be in our day-to-day by now, before self driving cars

07-31-2015 11:48 AM

Hi Florian,

yes this is a plan only.

Since this is not currently a feature planned for one of the next releases, I'm marking it as 'not planned'. It doesn't mean we won't do it in a future release though.

But in general a tool should became available to handle the smartstore more easy on the one hand, on the other hand the way how the EM purge/compact some data in the smartstore should be more flexible. Today the three tiers handle all data in the same way, but in general there is some more important or less important data in the smartstore, but no way to purge/compact less important data faster or prevent the data purge/compact for some data.

In general I'm not interesting in an additional tool, the EM should clean up the smartstore every day/night in a more common way, today the three tier purge/compact way ist nice but very limited.

With Regards, Lutz

p.s.

Thanks Fred.K to pick this old idea/request up again.

07-31-2015 11:15 AM

Thank you Fred, that's very helpful!

07-31-2015 10:50 AM

I have two long standing challenges which are currently biting me - in the simplest form:

SQL - delete all metrics for agent foo | backends | prepared statements

Sockets - delete all metrics for agent foo | sockets

In both cases the ideal would be to delete not "all" the metrics but only the ones that were short lived - I guess we have to qualify what short lived means, I guess a start would be not live.

A GUI would make it easy for the operation team to 'surgically' remove the agent metric accross all the collectors in the cluster counts and solve or avoid historical metrics clamps.

In the meantime I would be happy for the smarttools to support both -agent and -metrics regex at the same time :-)

07-31-2015 06:26 AM

Fred, Team,

given a UI would leverage all existing tools and metric we currently have (including field / customer solutions). What features and metrics would you like to see?

Thanks

Andreas

07-31-2015 06:05 AM

Hey Fred, I wish it were that easy!

A couple months back, we were discussing the SmartStor metadata explosion problem (which is the main source for the requirement here), and it seems we may be able to address this particular problem in one of the next releases. I’ll keep you posted if that project actually starts.

Florian.

07-30-2015 06:39 PM

ok FLorian this is now 3 years later - can you mark this one as planned for 10.1

11-06-2014 12:34 PM

What can we do to get this feature implemented.  With the agent load balancing feature, the Smartstor GUI tool becomes even more critical to manage APM clusters.  What can we do to put this back on the road map.

11-05-2014 06:44 PM

chefl02 I'd really like to urge the product team to put this "idea" back on the table instead of marking it "Not Planned".

11-05-2014 06:33 PM

This would be great capability to have. I am all for it, to be able to have a GUI to swiftly perform pruning during maintenance cycle.

07-24-2014 11:05 AM

Since this is not currently a feature planned for one of the next releases, I'm marking it as 'not planned'. It doesn't mean we won't do it in a future release though.

07-31-2013 05:44 PM

This tool should have the ability to select and purge a metric expression for a particular agent.  Currently is all metrics for an agent (agent purge) or a metric expression for the whole SmartStor, which includes all agents in the SS.<br><br>This is really needed when you have an metric explosion in an agent.  The benefit is that you can target and purge the culprit metric in a predefine agent.<br><br>This function should be able to be executed from the GUI SS Admin Tool.

05-22-2013 03:08 AM

i think it should exist a tool to migrate data from one collector to another .... so all the same data from the same agent exists in the same collector. in other case the historical is very high and shouldnt be.<br><br>so IMHO it should exist a button to migrate data between collectors .... start the collector in &quot;migration&quot; and start copying data between them

03-07-2013 10:14 AM

it should be nice to take into account the suggestion of merging two agents into one and so on 

02-28-2013 12:29 PM

Update from Product Management: We will be investing in APM database management tools in our next major release. Likely timeline would be sometime in 2014.

10-04-2012 12:19 PM

i&#39;d like it very much if this gui could include all the tools/options (and help links:-) to analyze and then fix corruptions / re-index etc.... maybe not just the smarstor but also those misc db trace/meta/...