Idea Details

"new age" data format output for IDMS modules

Last activity 11 days ago
dbadave's profile image
05-15-2017 02:39 PM

in short, I'd like easy ways to dump DB data into 2 specific formats, .CSV and XML.

IMVHO, the easiest way to do this would be thru CULPRIT custom Output Modules, but i could be wrong.

Coding my own requires information (metadata) about the columns of output that are not readily available.

(I wrote a culprit user module years ago, but all i remember about this meta data was that i hadda go get it out of the Culprit Work Files (SYS006 & 8, I think), and that's too much uncertain trouble for me to go to now).

Once the value of CSV & XML output (dynamically available, not hard-coded) is seen,

others would likely be seen as desirable, so i reckon that some generic functionality from CA would be the best way.

CSV is rather straightforward-- but there would be considerations about the data to be formatted (e.g., if LITERALLY CSV, then no commas in numeric fields, etc).

XML presents a more difficult case, yet all-the-more practical in IDD environment, if there was some customisation toward XML aliases for elements that CULPRIT could in turn draw upon, if you see how I mean.

May this please be considered as a DAR ?

Comments

05-23-2019 10:01 AM

Culprit with a capital C.   I am a fan - use it all the time! 

05-23-2019 09:56 AM

c-c-c-culprit? People still use Culprit?

Chris Hoelscher

Technology Architect, Database Infrastructure Services

Technology Solution Services

Humana Inc.

123 East Main Street

Louisville, KY 40202

Humana.com

(502) 476-2538 or 407-7266

05-23-2019 07:53 AM

I wrote a culprit output module to automatically insert commas into an existing report for an Instant .CSV file . . . 8^) . . .

05-23-2019 07:51 AM

well, not for nuthin', this idea was expressed poorly in this regard: I mainly need this for SMF data that I extract, summarize, and format for excel spreadsheets. So yes I want all this functionality but not just for DB data.

I worry about the data quality coming from xml or csv inputs . . . just sayin' . . . edi is trouble, enough . .  .

is there an EDI / XML standard anywhere?

I'll add this architectural suggestion, without actually being sure of its impact . . .

could CSV-column-headers / XML data labels be kept in IDD, as synonyms or class-attributes, and this software-to-be-considered to be 'driven' by that meta-data?

thanks for taking time for this, CA/Broadcom & Fellow DBAs . .  .

05-23-2019 04:29 AM

Taking this Idea further, this idea could be extended to have a facility to (re)load data into the IDMS Database from data in an XML document or in CSV format.

05-06-2019 02:24 PM

In cases where I have needed such output, I have relied upon CULPRIT (in prefetch mode) to provide a quick “unload” of data

Chris Hoelscher

Technology Architect, Database Infrastructure Services

Technology Solution Services

Humana Inc.

123 East Main Street

Louisville, KY 40202

Humana.com

(502) 476-2538 or 407-7266

05-06-2019 01:47 PM

Our application development team frequently ask for this utility,  so yes, I will definitely vote YES. It could be, for example, an UNLOAD utility to write a CSV sequencial file.

03-07-2019 12:26 PM

This is a COMMON request from our application teams, so yes, I will definitely vote YES. 

02-28-2019 10:59 AM

Thank you for submitting this idea. The product team has taken this idea in for review and further research. 

Community members, if you agree that this is a good idea please feel free to vote. Also please provide additional input using the comments section. 

Thank you!

05-16-2017 09:39 AM

If you’re open to a commercial product, Treehouse Software offers tcVISION, which provides GUI-driven, comprehensive and flexible capabilities to automatically extract and output IDMS data into a variety of formats, including CSV and XML as well as various other database targets. There is even a special packaging of the product called tcVISION z/Stream, which can take a database unload that has been transferred to a Linux/Unix/Windows (LUW) platform and process the extraction and output preparation entirely off the mainframe. For more information, please see http://treehouse.com/tcVISION.shtml or contact me directly.

Regards,

Wayne Lashley
Treehouse Software, Inc.
Direct: +1.941.706.2548
wlashley@treehouse.com

05-15-2017 05:28 PM

If you have a relational view of your network database it is EXTREMELY easy to write a CSV type output file.

Been there, done that.

If you DON’T have a relational view of your network database, that, too, is pretty easy to do.

Charles (Chuck) Hardee<mailto:Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com>

Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration

EAS Information Technology<mailto:DBA%20Engineering%20-%20DB2_IDMS>

Thermo Fisher Scientific

300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275

Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412) 490-9230

Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com<mailto:Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com>  | www.thermofisher.com

WORLDWIDE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent of a system responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender and delete all copies.