Idea Details

Apply Business Hours to Thresholds

Last activity 06-13-2019 09:27 AM
Ian Noble's profile image
09-12-2018 12:15 AM

DESCRIPTION

Performance Center (PC) needs to have the functionality to use business hours in the threshold profiles to have better controls on the number of alarms that are generated.  The current functionality in PC uses business hours only to filter the data in a dashboard to relevant hours for capacity planning.  It was determined by CA support and engineering that using business hours as a threshold filter is not a feature supported in Performance Management or planned for any future release of the product.  The legacy NetQoS NPC (Network Performance Center) product allowed business hours to be used to suppress unwanted alarms for specific sites after hours.

BUSINESS REASON

Filtering thresholds with business hours would reduce 1/3rd of the alarms produces that are non-critical, have a lesser priority, and do not need to be tracked.  Limiting the number threshold alarms to business hours will reduce hardware system resources used to generate alarms across monitoring platforms, reduce hours chasing/researching alarms that are not mission critical, reduce operational time closing cases opened by the alarms that are generated.

IMPLEMENTATION

The application of using business hours filtering with the threshold profiles needs to be native in the Performance Center user interface (UI) without using external REST/API automation to change the Data Aggregator (DA) device values with customer specific customizations.  Internal functionality would use the business hours to enable/disable the threshold evaluations for each threshold profile under either event rules, event conditions, or a separate business hours tab.  If possible, additional functionality can be added to add the business hours by custom groups (not collections) for better administration of the dashboards and card views.  A separate administration area, logging, and/or dashboard would be needed to see the affected devices by business hours for troubleshooting and validations of the potentially suppressed alarms.  Dashboards and card views need to display real-time in the reports that thresholds for this current reports are suppressed so that the operational staff is aware that threshold alarms are not currently being generated.

REFERENCES

Business hours filters in threshold profiles was posted in CA Experts Forum for Performance Management by Tarun Agrawal on January 25th, 2017 with no resolution and no plans to have the functionality built into the Performance management product, but a REST/API external solution is possible with automation.

Suppress threshold alarms with business hours was posted in CA Experts Forum for Performance Management by Ian Noble on July 30th, 2018 with no resolution and no plans to have the functionality built into the Performance Management product, but a REST/API external solution is possible with automation.

CA support case suppress threshold alarms (#01153563) was opened on July 30th, 2018 and closed on July 31st, 2018 with no resolution and no plans to have the functionality built in the Performance Management product.

Comments

04-11-2019 02:00 AM

We need improvements in CAPC as customer is not  taking it as a reporting tool it also used as a proactive reporting like alarming in different scanerios and PC is very strick in this case an dnot provide little functionalities like adding up polled value and compare or compare with last poll very basic functionalities that are required in multiple scenarios.

Regards

Akash

03-25-2019 06:12 AM

Are there any updates on this?

This is something I have been searching for in CAPM.  I came to the community to find a solution, only to find that there isn't one!  

01-25-2019 01:19 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to review our priorities and I'll get back to you if I have any news. 

01-23-2019 11:27 PM

Hi kelch14

I agreed with your point of view but there are customers who have been using eHealth for many years and are forced to move to CA PM as eHealth is EOL. CA PM has been projected as a next gen solution which I completely agree on , but at the very least customers would expect the basic features which were already existing in a old product like eHealth to be available in a new solution like CA PM. 

I've hit a roadblock with migrating another customer where we have a requirement to monitor their WAN links at different thresholds during business hours and non business hours . Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to get this done easily in CA PM as I don't have an option to set thresholds based on time . Trying to set some rules form Spectrum just to modify the alerts coming from CA PM will only complicate it further in a large scale environment .

Just adding one more reason to have this feature , I know you have your priorities on which one should make it to the feature list and which one not but my only request has been to please add the basic features what eHealth had in to CA PM and that will save many of CA/Broadcom's existing customers from frustration 

Thanks 

01-21-2019 01:42 PM

Hi Phani,

I understand the scenario, thank you for taking the time to share it. You may be aware that we are putting major effort into unifying Spectrum and Performance Management as part of our NetOps solution. Having more granular control of how to handle alarms coming from different threshold profiles sounds like a great feature for us to consider as a benefit of the unified system. That being said, we have a couple other unification steps that we need to take before we can implement this functionality holistically. I will follow up here when we have more information to share.

01-14-2019 05:49 PM

Hi jason_normandin kelch14

Please let me explain you a scenario

We use CA Spectrum as fault management tool like majority of customers . All of the thresholds violation alerts are configured in CA PM  and CA Spectrum is used for the out of the box fault alerts 

We are an MSP and have a multi tenant environment . One of our customers want to have threshold alerting ( CPU, Memory , Utilization , etc) for a group of devices which are triggered from CA PM only during business hours ,however they would like to receive alerts from CA Spectrum for any of the faults 24x7 like the "DEVICE HAS STOPPED RESPONDING TO POLLS" or any other Spectrum critical alerts.

One way I see forward is to use SANM policy (filters) in Spectrum and set schedules for auto ticketing  or emails. This holds good provide we use auto ticketing or emails 

In our case few of the customers use their own service management applications and we cannot enable auto ticketing directly to their systems. We have a NOC team which uses the Spectrum OneClick 24x7 to manually log any critical incidents into customers ticketing application .As CA PM does not have capability to suppress alerts based on business hours , if there are any thresholds violation alerts which gets generated after hours gets forwarded to Spectrum  and they might get logged as incidents by NOC as its showing up in Spectrum 

Currently we are using eHealth and all of the suppressing for threshold alerts happens in LE and it does not forward any unwanted alerts to Spectrum and whats displayed in Spectrum are only the once we expect to see  .

Having this option in CA PM does help with filtering the unwanted alerts from forwarding to Spectrum , rather than those alerts showing up in Spectrum and creating additional noise . We can even reduce the number of events generated in CA PM which are unwanted 

I could not think of any other better options to get around the issue we are facing , please let me know if there is any.

01-14-2019 08:28 AM

Hi Phani,

Adding my colleague Chazz Kellner (kelch14).

We do  not currently have plans to implement calendar/business-hour controls within CA Performance Center. While we have heard this from other customers but it is not something we are prepared to invest in at this time. Our general philosophy is that the event receiving engine (primary fault tool) would handle the control of what happens and when.

01-13-2019 09:20 PM

jason_normandinJeremy_Rossbachdieti01

Is there even a remote possibility to include this feature in CA PM? We use this for few customers in eHealth and has become a bottleneck in moving them to CA PM as I do not have the option to set threshold notifications based on Business hours . This is quite a basic feature missing in CA PM 

Please advice 

11-12-2018 04:55 PM

Any plans to include this functionality in CA PM please? This is a basic option which existed in a solution (eHealth) developed a decade back but surprisingly not part of a latest solution (CA PM). 

Many of our customers rely on this option in eHealth and as they are now being migrated from eHealth to CA PM we really lack this functionality 

09-12-2018 08:07 AM

This is a much needed capability to support CAPC Threshold Alarms and focus certain Threshold Alarms for the business hours of the facility.