Idea Details

Ticket Sequence Number Format

Last activity 11 days ago
Jennifer_Perdue's profile image
06-03-2013 04:08 PM

Currently, SDM allows the ability to edit an existing sequence number format but not the seperation of Request/Incident/Problem into each specific module or allow the creation of new sequence number formats.

This idea is to either seperate the Request/Incident/Problem or allow the SDM Admins to create a new sequence number format, one specific to each module.  Examples of this issue:  When Request ticket number 123456 is entered, it should come across as R123456.  Incident ticket number 456789 is entered, it should come across as I456789.  Problem ticket number 789123 is entered, it should come across as P789123.

Instead, you are only allowed to enter one prefix for Request/Incident/Problem.  So all tickets would come across with the same prefix in a manner that does not make sense to the analysts.  This causes a great deal of confusion to the end users as well as the analysts when they are being asked for an update to a ticket.

Currently, the Change and Issue are the only modules in which you can actually modify the sequence number format in a manner which makes sense to the analysts.

For more info as to how this functions today, go into the Help menu - select Administration - Service Desk - Sequence Numbers - Edit a Sequence Number Format.

Comments

07-19-2018 02:08 PM

I also think the ability is valuable.  Especially since when a user says I need an update on ticket 12345  you have to guess whether to search incidents, requests or problems.  If the prefixes could be configured uniquely you'd always know exactly where to search first time.

05-04-2018 10:44 AM

Hi Carol,

I have a more general solution for this which I can demo a quick demo to Product Management for consideration. This does have customization but uses a more out-of-box feature like approach. However, if this is productized, then the customization will not be required at all.

Thanks,

Indrajit Banerjee.

03-15-2018 07:38 AM

This idea is being Wish-Listed for potential inclusion in a future release.

Before this idea moves to the next stage (Currently Planned or Not Planned), I would like to invite community members to please provide additional input and/or vote. Please note that Wish-listed ideas are selected for inclusion in a release based on multiple factors including - number of votes from community members, alignment of idea with a release's themes and goals, complexities and risks involved in implementing the idea, so a timeframe for availability of the idea as a product feature/functionality cannot be provided. Additionally, the implementation of your idea may not be exactly as requested and/or may be delivered in a new user experience.

03-12-2018 04:03 AM

Hi,

I have seen your post. How can we achieve this? Kindly suggest us.

Regards

Gowtham S

03-17-2017 11:54 AM

Thank you for submitting this idea. The product team is reviewing this idea and is looking for additional input from other community members.

Community Members: If you agree that this is a good idea, please vote and add comments with details about your requirements.

03-15-2017 04:57 AM

Tiago,

the functionality in 14.1 remain the same as before and there is no distinction between Request, incident and problem. Customization exist but the idea remain valid to have it OOB  

/J

10-21-2015 08:12 AM

We need it, is useful.

I'd did this in past on older versions.

BUT, I don't need it anymore and I could see some update on CA Service Desk included the edition on sequence numbers, perhaps this functionality wrote on Edit a Sequence Number Format - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation allow us to do it.

Someone used this functionality before?

Regards

12-29-2014 03:01 PM

Thanks for the information jcancino1.1

Remember folks that custom SPEL code is outside the scope of CA Support and ALL customizations should be thoroughly tested in a non-PROD environment.

12-29-2014 01:42 PM

We have a solution for this problem

You should create a file with spell code.

solution

1. create file with trigger (ex: zref_num.maj)

TRIGGERS {

POST_VALIDATE zprefix() 100 FILTER(EVENT("INSERT"));

};

2. create file with spell code to prefix ref number (ex: Incident --> IN-NNNNN, to Request --> RE-NNNNN)

cr::zprefix(...) {

string i_ref, p_ref, r_ref, ztype, zref_num;

send_wait( 0, this, "get_attr_vals",2,"ref_num","type");

zref_num = msg[3];

ztype = msg[6];

//Replace the I P R below if you want different prefixes

i_ref = format("IN-%s", zref_num);

p_ref = format("PB-%s", zref_num);

r_ref = format("RE-%s", zref_num);

if ( ztype == 'I' ) {

send_wait(0, this, "call_attr", "ref_num", "set_val", i_ref, "SURE_SET");

}

else if ( ztype == 'P' ) {

send_wait(0, this, "call_attr", "ref_num", "set_val", p_ref, "SURE_SET");

}

else if ( ztype == 'R' ) {

send_wait(0, this, "call_attr", "ref_num", "set_val", r_ref, "SURE_SET");

}

}

3. recycle service CA SDM

This solution work well with different CA SDM versions

Juan

12-25-2014 08:36 AM

Hi Manish,

Could you share your solution with us, please?

Thank you in advance!

/Linar

11-14-2014 06:46 AM

Could you please let us know how it can be achieved?

11-14-2014 04:09 AM

Same here We'd be also interested in how this customization works.

Cheers

Petr

11-13-2014 12:59 PM

Manish I would be interested in this customization as well.

11-13-2014 12:50 PM

Manish.............

Are you able to provide a brief explanation of how the customization works?

11-13-2014 08:29 AM

Hi Jennifer,

This customization is not complex. I have used it since version 6.0

Regards,

Manish

11-13-2014 08:23 AM

Thanks Manish!  That would be great but we are looking to do this without customization as customization makes it difficult when you upgrade.

11-13-2014 06:01 AM

I have customized the prefix for different types of tickets - eg INC-1234 , REQ-7890 , PRB-4567. Let me know if you need any assistance.

Thanks

Manish Ved