Idea Details

Check UNIX/Linux for Read-Only file system

Last activity 06-24-2019 02:03 PM
David Distel's profile image
03-14-2018 03:04 PM

This is a request to implement functionality within UIM.

The request is for a built-in way to monitor UNIX/Linux/*NIX systems for the  presence of a file system(s) that have flipped to Read-Only. 

I am told that there is not currently a UIM probe that will do this Out-Of-The-Box. There is a Tech Note about using a script and logmon and Watchers , but I would think it would be easier for the customer if there was a built-in functionality within one of the probes.

Thanks.

Comments

03-06-2019 06:34 PM

To CA (a Broadcom Company ) Support and/or Engineering.

Is there any update to this request? Is this being worked on as an enhancement to UIM functionality ?

Thanks,   David

10-15-2018 11:00 AM

Hello CA,

any idea on this basic request?

regards,

Raphael

08-27-2018 09:55 AM

Yes, and that is the big probably I see as well, that once the filesystem goes R/O , it normally can no longer write to a file either. This eliminates any log check scenario, since there will no longer be updates to the log file indicating a problem.

08-27-2018 09:44 AM

The controller/spooler would need a check for read-only filesystems as well if the drive it is installed on flips to read-only and it can no longer write to it's local queue.  In my tests the spooler only throws a vague "unable to spool alarm" message once and then "fails to send sethub" thereafter.

That or write the spooler queue to memory and only copy to the local drive to survive a restart.

04-06-2018 06:18 PM

This is necessary.  It should be another option for "Default Disk(s)" and configurable for each disk with an overriding profile.  Our previous tool was capable of this, its just a simple touch/rm with return code analysis.