Idea Details

CDM - Network traffic stats

Last activity 6 days ago
l-wright's profile image
01-06-2016 09:39 AM

The CDM probe currently has the ability to collect the traffic send and receive for devices. we would like the ability expanding so individual interfaces could be configured mimicking the interface traffic and snmp collector probes

Comments

05-14-2019 01:15 PM

Hi Steve, yes just tried that as well instead of deploying it with our base cdm super pack and same errors.

I:

1. Deleted cmd probe out of IM,
  2. Deleted the cdm probe directory
  3. Stopped robot services
  4. Deleted items in \nimsoft\robot_cache folder,
  5. Deleted my laptop out of UMP > USM, QoS Data
  6. stop/start data_engine probe,
  7. started robot,
  8. deployed cdm,
  9. Admin console enabled Network metrics and
  10. waited and yeah. Bad data still

05-13-2019 01:02 PM

Dan,

Did you try doing a fresh install of cdm? It worked for me out of the box.

I would try that. Save off your cdm.cfg first in case you can get away with a fresh install, test to see if its working, then restore the .cfg but make sure the section appears the same for the network traffic.

05-13-2019 03:32 AM

Hi, Daniel.

Unfortunately, "Interface" tab in USM will be populated only when device is monitored by snmpcollector probe.

cdm probe does not populate it.

05-10-2019 12:16 PM

I really wish this 'worked'.

Previously I was running the cdm 6.20 version of the cdm probe and I enabled the NIC metrics manually after I enabled the network metrics thru the AC config GUI. I copied out the new nic metrics section <nic_aggr> and put it into my IM CDM archive package. I was actually getting good traffic stats for in/out traffic.

But now after upgrading to this version 6.42 its all broken. I enabled all the additional new NIC metrics

and everything is coming in wrong:

99% & 100% Errors on all interfaces, Traffic In/Out now is is negative 1 Billion pbs (-1.00Bps)

and no, the Interfaces Tab on a selected robot doesn't show the Interfaces data from the cdm probe.

And yes before deploying I deleted my robot out of the USM, deleted all previous qos_data, reset the robot ID and started fresh new cdm 6.42 metrics and got the results above. 

I'll open a case here as usual with all these great new features released...

05-10-2019 11:30 AM

I think that our customer rebuttal is that when Admin Console is even half as functional as IM, then us customers will start using it. Otherwise Broadcom will continually get questions about why something new wasn't available in IM.

Personally, what I can honestly say about Admin Console is that in the seven years I have been using this product, only twice has Admin Console successfully completed an operation faster/better/correctly/etc than IM. Granted it is better than the four or five aborted attempts prior to it but if one's environment has more than a test lab's worth of systems in it, Admin Console is worthless.

I will admit that my real world may be different from that of the designers of the last couple years worth of "improvements" to the product but with the possible exception of the secure hub/robot features in the latest service pack (the jury is still out on that one) pretty much every "feature" added in the last couple years has detracted from the product. Consider the value of UDM, ems, the new snmp collector, tunnel compression, Admin Console, application discovery, ADE, CABI, move to use JVM, etc. All half baked or unusable in an environment of any size.

End rant. Sorry.

05-10-2019 11:10 AM

Go forward strategy is to enable new features with AC & MCS. Interface monitoring config isn't available through IM.

Also, interface metric graphs can be viewed through UMP as well. 

05-09-2019 11:57 AM

DanielBlanco ... I think they are trying to reduce the number of administrative interfaces you need to run the product to something less than 4!!! 

If they don't put the new stuff in the original IM interface then that will subtly force you to use one of the newer ways to administer your environment.  

05-09-2019 11:13 AM

Okay why is there no "Network" tab on the old IM cdm probe GUI now?

Why is this ONLY available in the Admin Console configuration? 

IM cdm v6.42:

Admin Console cdm v6.42:

05-09-2019 10:45 AM

So will this finally populate the "Interfaces" tab with actual data on a selected robot in the USM?

05-09-2019 01:27 AM

CDM probe v6.42 is now GA'd supporting monitoring of interfaces, along with additional enhancements & fixes.

Refer release notes for additional details: cdm (CPU, Disk, Memory Performance Monitoring) Release Notes - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technolo… 

04-03-2019 12:49 AM

Hi Simran,

You need to navigate to the "Beta" tab in the archive, and you'll find CDM v6.41 in the list. 

Here's a direct link to the beta tab: http://support.nimsoft.com/Default.aspx?center=felles/archive&state=BETA  

Thanks,

Suman.

04-02-2019 08:08 AM

Hello Ghosu02,

I don't see this version CDM probe beta (v6.41), available on the internet archive, would you please help me with the link from where i can download it.

Regards,

Simran Jeet Bhagat

01-24-2019 07:25 AM

Yes, as of this release in case of multiple NICs on a single monitored server, the overall capacity/utilization values are aggregated and presented.

01-24-2019 02:52 AM

Hi, Suman. Thank you for update.

NIC metrics Per interface is still not available in cdm 6.41 - Am I correct ?

01-24-2019 02:11 AM

Update: The CDM probe beta (v6.41) is now available for download in the archive. This version adds the capability to monitor NIC metrics like Interface Utilization (In/Out), Interface Errors (In/Out) & Interface Discards % (In/Out), along with a bunch of other optimizations and fixes. Feel free to update your existing CDM probe and try it out in your monitored environment for these new metrics.

11-30-2018 10:06 AM

An absolute must have for CDM Probe. Also monitor interface availability with CDM Probe is required.

08-28-2018 09:22 AM

This option is very much required.........Its very difficult to manage another probe for NIC utilization data...

12-05-2017 11:24 AM

Now need to rename the probe to cdmn  

09-14-2017 12:31 PM

From an administration standpoint, it makes sense to collect Network data from the cdm probe on servers. Although, you could use snmp collector to poll Network data, but it's not a scalable solution as you would have to add the server separately to a snmp collector probe after deploying the agent already to that server. Since, the probe is already installed, it should be able to do that.

09-14-2017 10:53 AM

The idea is to add the network metric to CDM.

Interface Utilization is already added to CDM but point here is if network metric should be added to cdm probe, as cdm uses system commands to extract data, whereas network probes uses network protocols likes SNMP to extract  data.

08-28-2017 11:08 AM

This is a must, I am getting asked for this all the time as UIM CDM only shows aggregated, in and out in mb/s.  This is good but does not provide context like percentages can.  I can't imagine it takes much to add the percentages graphs and provide that percentage data in a report as well.

08-24-2017 09:55 AM

Yes, I agree. Similar to what snmpcollector provides, both percentages and absolute values.

We have users who are interested in getting network data for their server interfaces and it's a pain that we deploy the agents and then we also have to add them in snmpcollector. cdm probe should have the capability to collect all the interfaces data.

08-23-2017 05:42 PM

I would add that you'll want absolute values for bits in/out, errors in/out, and discards in/out as well because on VMs or cloud environments, percentages may not be very meaningful.

08-23-2017 05:37 PM

This is a great idea. It would be helpful to get individual interface metrics below directly from the cdm probe.

Interface Utilization % (In and Out)

Interface Errors % (In and Out)

Interface Discards % (In and Out)

Also, be able to manage this using MCS as well.

06-28-2017 10:23 PM

Would be good to also collect interface bandwidth or provide %bandwidth utilization