Idea Details

Delete retired devices by using GUI

Last activity 06-13-2019 10:03 AM
Shinichi Suzuki's profile image
05-24-2017 06:34 AM

Hello,

I have been using CAPM3.1.
I have to manage SNMP devices only.

But I make a mistake in operation and have discoverd  a lot of pingable devices ( those are not SNMP devices).
I would like to delete those pingable devices.

But I found no way to delete those pingable devices by Using GUI.

So I had delete those devices one by one.

In future version, I consider that we need a way to delete multiple retired devices by using GUI.

Comments

02-27-2019 01:08 PM

Thanks for your honesty. However, deleting devices in bulk is (I think) a MUST-HAVE feature. Or at least, it should be explained how to do this via REST API in the admin guide. 

08-11-2017 02:12 AM

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the insight.

The use case here is to delete those pingables that were accidently discovered. Hence the need to identify them as pingable and delete from GUI itself.

Regards

08-10-2017 03:38 PM

Hi Shin!

Good question and I understand the use case. You might think "this is such an obvious feature to have" but there's a little history as to why this is the case.

CAPM has been built from the ground-up to be completely API drivable. One of the initial goals was actually to be "headless" and allow customers to leverage APIs for full automation. 

We're now working on filling in some of those gaps that exist via API but don't yet exist in the UI. We've done work adding retiring (as well as many other admin functions) via UI but deletion has not yet been a primary need for our customers. We find a lot of customers actually need to (or want to) persist retired items for a period of time (usually sometimes up to 18 months!). These processes often rely on API based automation to delete devices which have been retired for an amount of time.

So to be honest, at this point this isn't high on the priority list as there are other (more often used) Admin functions that could benefit from UI additions and improvements.

I do recognize the need for this however and I get the use case so I'm going to set this to "wish-listed" and we'll keep an eye as to whether the demand for this becomes overwhelming. 

Thanks for the time and idea Shin!

-Jason

08-10-2017 12:41 AM

Yes it is good to have this from the GUI so that we can select multiple such devices and delete.

06-13-2017 03:43 AM

Yes!!!
I really want this feature!!!
I was surprised that the same idea has been posted 2 years ago.
And I'm regrettable that the vote is very less.

06-08-2017 08:12 AM

There is also a similar idea to delete devices in the list view where you can also do other 'life cycle' tasks:

DELETE button/function in device table 

06-02-2017 01:43 AM

Yes,
I really hope a GUI can be introduced in CAPM3.2 or CAPM3.3.

06-02-2017 01:39 AM

I completely agree with you. 
"ALL basic administrative actions should be able to be performed with the GUI."
I also think that backup/restore action should be able to be performed with the GUI.

05-31-2017 03:48 AM

I agree a GUI would be nice, but at least having an API allows you to build programs or script to do the thing. This is better than nothing right now. Let's hope a GUI can be introduced in a further release!

@dev team: it's up to you now!

05-31-2017 03:04 AM

I rather think that all basic administrative actions should be able to be performed with the GUI.

Managing ICMP and SNMP devices such as creation and deletion falls under basic actions to me. 

05-31-2017 02:24 AM

Thanks,
I will delete retired devices by using REST this time.
But, Rest service is not user-friendly, I think.

So, I consider that we need a way to delete retired devices by using GUI.

05-30-2017 06:31 AM

Yes, I suggest using REST webservices to do that. Have a look at that TEC doc, it could give you some insights!

How to delete multiple devices in CA Performance Management Data Aggregator via REST API 

05-30-2017 05:36 AM

Please teach me the detail.

Is that to use REST service?

05-30-2017 02:14 AM

You could use the webservice calls to do that.

05-26-2017 01:40 PM

Yeah that doesn't really help because there's no way to search for pingables.  What would really help is the ability to multi-select in the Tree View.

05-26-2017 11:10 AM

If you go to the Data Aggregator/Monitored Devices and click the Search tab.  You can search for the devices you want to delete, check the boxes and delete in bulk.