Idea Details

Customizable Color Pallete

Last activity 06-13-2019 10:06 AM
Anon Anon's profile image
11-08-2012 12:10 PM

CAPC --

The baby blue colors of many of the charts are hard to read, especially when there are multiple shades of blue on the same trend chart.  Allow the user to customize their own color pallete or at least allow the administrator to customize the color pallete to their users' liking.

This chart gives me the blues...

Comments

02-19-2019 09:36 AM

Are we going to enhance this to do more themes  or is this all hand edit now?

11-29-2018 03:08 PM

Dear All/CA Team,

I am using CAPC 3.5 basically data collection is  also available on many other tools but the things that attract customers is to way of representing data my customers want beautiful representation of data. like in CA PC the the bars view is only available for average utilization that is by default for interfaces but not for other supported metrics.

If you are providing some graphical views them minimum that views are supported for all like matrices what would i say to customers that you will never get that report in this view or you will get this in only that format.

I think CA Team should have to focus on it representation of data its the most required thing now.

Or provide a basic customizable structure for representation. Not from scratch that user customize the thee from scratch.

Hopefully CA Team will provide  some better views and Enhance colors in future.

08-28-2018 10:42 AM

As Casey Kasem would say “Keep one foot on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!”

This is the enabling phase so that those who want to, can do it — and now you all can — next stop on this journey is to make it simple with a point and click GUI and a way to share your favorite theme.

Thanks to everyone continuing to share your feedback. I promise you are all making this product better!

Sent from my iPhone

08-28-2018 09:10 AM

Sure, I can document only what we have available today.

08-28-2018 08:43 AM

Yeah, but missing the point. If i'm going to do that, I may as well rock my own gui with google visualizations api and my own css. What we're really looking for is a WYSIWYG theme editor. I understand that the foundation has to be built first, and this gets pretty close. Hopefully somebody over there has some vision for the future and built the foundation such that it won't take much to build the theme editor. 

If this is the app era, then i should be doing things the way i do them in the apps on my phone. I haven't ever edited a text file on my phone to change a theme.

At any rate, once the theme is created, hopefully it can be placed into a github repository and linked from CAPC. It would be nice to subscribe to certain repositories for themes. If the repository developer creates a new theme, it would show up automatically in my list of available themes. I could even make tweaks and commit those changes back the master branch so they could be pulled back in. Sorry, i'm reaching for the sky now.

08-28-2018 08:28 AM

Hi Reena,

Have you reviewed the instructions here? Customize a Theme - CA Performance Management - 3.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

You can create a new theme, edit the css, and deploy the new theme. Only experienced administrators should customize themes.

Or, you can simply use one of the other predefined themes. For more information, see Manage Tenants - CA Performance Management - 3.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks, Corry

08-24-2018 03:22 PM

Could you please point me towards at decent documentation to implement a custom color palette? The product doc was not helpful.

Thanks,

Reena

Schlumberger-Private

08-24-2018 11:24 AM

Are you thinking all users or specified super-user types?

I have thousands of users but really only a few hundred super-user types.

Robert J. Zilliox

Performance Engineer, Network Management Services

Cincinnati Bell

[cid:7f3be9b4-3a2d-4fca-b01a-36cb78fdf32a]

08-24-2018 10:44 AM

And give users the ability to set their own theme instead of it being a tenant-wide thing.

08-24-2018 10:33 AM

Next, I would like an actual theme editor and not manual edit css files, color picker and all.

Maybe some pictures with arrows that help guide for us non programming types.

I pretty much feel like a lumber jack with an axe inside these files.

08-24-2018 10:23 AM

As mentioned during some of the beta programs , we would like the themes to include the SSO pages. This would include the logo and and padding (spacing) and background colors as well as the names.

The current theme does not well indicate nor contain the inside naming of "CA Performance Center". This needs to be changed in (from the top of my head guess) localization files.  I would like that built into the theme in a obvious manner.

You mention how to change color of charts and graphs , but with current docs I do not see how to change the colors inside the graph or control the colors on the graphs to keep them consistent.  In the next release I would like the ability to pick and choose which colors should go on a graph. 

I am unclear on why the instructions is having you edit in your css file and copy that to you min file. This defeats the purpose of a min file. Also the min file is not minified. (unless I broke it).

08-23-2018 04:44 PM

Combing through the ideas and i noticed that we had not marked this as delivered. With CA Performance Management 3.6 you can now create your own themes including changing colors for charts and graphs - it was a long time coming for sure but happy we have this. Please feel free to open a new idea if you have any suggestions for making this even better. We are shooting to introduce a nice new theme implemented across all our monitoring products that looks really cool - just in time for CAW Miami - stay tuned!

02-16-2018 06:10 PM

This is a really great idea!!

Sent from my iPhone

02-16-2018 05:44 PM

jbovee, what if there were a theme generating website? Like something that had a few sample pages from CAPC and a sidebar where you could scroll through and use sliders/color pickers to choose the colors and have them update in real time? Once you get the theme the way you want it, you hit save and you now have a theme file that you can use on your prod, dev, test, capc's plus you can share it with others.

Obviously, there would need to be a way to import an existing theme so that it could be modified. So, if i made a theme that you really liked except for a few colors, you could download my theme from github, import into the theme tool, use the sliders to make the changes (with live previews) and save your newly modified theme.

Ideally, i'd love to see something more organized that github. Something like an app store where custom apps and themes can be give social rankings and interactions. The underlying app/theme could be hosted on github, but there should be a store frontend.

02-16-2018 10:26 AM

This is absolutely a step in the right direction, but I imagine there would be a lot more use of the feature if there was a wizard for it built in to the PM interface.  Manually modifying CSS files is a daunting prospect to many, and is a time consuming process.  Don't get me wrong...I love that progress is being made on this highly popular request but I'd really like to see it taken over the finish line.

02-16-2018 02:01 AM

Hi, nice to see that it continues. I'm curious.

02-15-2018 04:17 PM

The team did a really great job with this - it is really cool to see even more progress with this highly requested feature!

02-15-2018 04:12 PM

Check out our latest end of sprint demo for a review of this feature that we are delivering in our upcoming release.

02-02-2018 02:13 PM

This is the feedback from my users when I introduced CAPM to them:

1. Colors in NFA's stacked trend views are much more vivid than CAPM's washed out colors for the same views. Much easier to use the stack views in NFA.

2. I had a color-blind user ask me not to configure green and red lines in the trend charts because they become a blur to him.

06-26-2017 04:35 AM

Amazing stuff !!

06-20-2017 09:45 AM

I am happy to say that there is some NEW momentum on responding to this request - when this was first submitted we focused on improving the OOB look and feel with a theme that would be the basis for all of our Agile Operations tools (UIM, Spectrum, PM, etc.) and now the team is starting to make progress on hover over capabilities as well as adding more themes and  flexibility to change which is the real request. In addtiion I am especially proud of a continued focus on Section 508 improvements that improve the experience for employees with disabilities - even small improvements to ensure status can be understood without relying on color, 508 compliant color and contrast, and consistent use of 508 compliant icons make sure all of our customers have a quality user experience.  

The evolution of CA Performance Center continues to impress especially now as our vision for OpenAPI and a 'System of Apps' becomes real. Be sure to follow our End of Sprint Reviews to watch some great improvements unfold with CA Performance Center, delivery of a unfied Dashboard and Reporting Solution (Jaspersoft), and more OpenAPI Apps that are available in GitHub and more easier than ever to add to CAPC - check them out - https://github.com/CA-PM

Non of this would have been possible without the support of a dedicated customer base pushing us to improve - thank you all so much!

05-19-2017 08:41 AM

I agree that giving administrators more control over the colors, even by customizing CSS or whatever (even if that's not that user friendly) would be a great addition!   

03-04-2016 07:28 AM

We are doing demo's of CAPC on a regular basis for several subject matter experts of our customer (CSP) - and this one is always included in their feedback ...

>100 votes we do have; does anyone have an approx. timeline ? ;-)

Thanks!

02-09-2016 03:24 AM

Great Idea

10-14-2015 01:50 AM

Great idea

10-08-2015 04:20 PM

jason_normandin, another way to make the graphs more readable is the ability to hover the mouse over the graph lines and show the legend with values, the same way it works for eHealth Live Reporting.

09-10-2015 03:57 PM

I am still using the netvoyant/npc  and am In beta (again) for use with CAPM. I have showed a few people here and the reviews are poor on how washed out all the trend views are and the lack of color separation.

09-10-2015 03:54 PM

Stuart_Weenig I was just looking at Tetradic colors myself and how these should be leverage to display default behavior and then much like the old NPC views choose color schemes that may be more specific.

An Example would be to have an Error chart where the Error line is in Deep Red  #ff0000 and another metric perhaps in #ffff00. Upon clicking  the edit button these colors would be choices.

08-13-2015 09:32 AM

In addition to being able to change the color palette, it would be nice if we could also provide a company logo for branding purposes.  This is one of the few remaining features that NPC had that CAPC doesn't yet.

07-30-2015 02:40 PM

Good Idea

07-22-2014 01:42 PM

If there will be specific color schemes to choose from, it would be nice if the choices were limited to one of the 5 basic color schemes:

Allow me to choose which scheme, then allow me to choose the primary color (in these cases green) by rotating the black outline until I get the colors that I want. The only one i'd add to this would be a double-triadic. It could be argued that analogous, triadic, and split complementary are all variations on the same thing, but there are reasons UI designers don't use the other symmetric three color schemes.

If we'll also have the option of defining our own color schemes through XML, at least have some guidance available (Adobe Kuler) so we can know before-hand if the colors we've picked won't look good. A preview option is always good.

For ease of use, I'd ideally like to see some sort of control on the page that stores the CSS settings in the database. When the page is rendered, the CSS settings are pulled from the DB and affect the render. That will allow hard coders to go in and directly manipulate the CSS themselves, while allowing the casual/busy/lazy admin to be able to do the customization quickly and easily.

07-08-2014 03:09 PM

XML files would be fine, 7 out of the last 8 customers have asked for the capability to modify the colors of the chartlines to give more contrast

07-08-2014 02:52 PM

Stuart,

That would be the idea. The primary goal of the change would be to improve the clarity of the lines within the various views and not so much a means to redefine the entire CAPC experience. I know there are some aspects we would need to control to ensure correct sizing etc. but better flexibility would help.

07-08-2014 02:47 PM

I like the idea of CSS, that way more than just color could be tweaked. Would this include the different colors used on graphs (i.e. more distinct lines on multitrend views)?

07-08-2014 02:26 PM

All,

We are looking at ways to improve the readability and presentation of the CAPC views (both within the Web UI as well as via exported PDFs). If we approached this from a simpler perspective and provided an XML file that would provide the means to specify a HEX value (or similar) would this be enough? Or is the ask more dynamic such as defining custom CSS definitions or providing interactive "color pickers"?

We agree that better colors will help improve readability I just want to make sure we are looking to solve the problem rather than discussing a full "skinable" interface.

I welcome any and all thoughts!

Thanks!

Jason

06-27-2014 08:47 AM

Dear all - may this could be handled by "Themes" and to allow a more granular configuration by this .. to have then the option to select per user a specific "theme".

05-22-2014 11:15 AM

Just an update our team is looking into this one as it received a healthy number of votes - and the PM team is getting older and eyes are not as good as they used to be

05-22-2014 11:14 AM

Just an update our team is looking into this one as it received a healthy number of votes - and the PM team is getting older and eyes are not as good as they used to be

06-06-2013 03:21 PM

I'd love to be able to get the red/green/yellow/blue for the ADA data in CAPC that people are used to seeing!

04-30-2013 03:31 PM

FYI for all you desparate people out there. I switched to the gray palate it was better.<br>More ability to customize is definitely needed!

11-14-2012 05:51 PM

Agreed, it is too hard to see some of the colors. Being able to define the colors would enable us to present the charts better to our customers.