Idea Details

automatically sync Event Config files between Spectroserver host and OneClick host

Last activity 12 days ago
mwegner's profile image
03-14-2012 01:45 PM

Since the recommend installation of Spectrum has OneClick on one host and Spectroserver and AlarmNotifier on another host, and both OneClick and AlarmNotifier need the probable cause and event format files, the event configuration tool should write changes to those files on both hosts when changes are made.

Comments

05-08-2019 06:09 AM

An idea created in 2012 is under review still? 

Broadcom / CA this is why I as a user get so frustrated with the ideas process.

These should have regular updates from yourselves so your customers can get some level of confidence that ideas are being progressed. Looking back through these comment CA seem more interested in explaining the problem with the ideas and very little information about this idea.

Regards,

Ben.

11-03-2017 07:39 AM

Can we have an update? Under review for that long... What's the result of the review?

05-15-2017 06:34 PM

I support that addition. I don't like inconsistencies between my OCs. It's one of the most frustrating parts of managing multiple OCs.

05-10-2017 02:34 PM

Hi kiran_diwakar,

Any updates on this idea about automatically syncing Event config files between OneClick server and Spectroserver for Alarm Notifier purposes?

Also, if you are still considering, I would like to add something related. How about syncing files of certain directories (like alarm, common, console, Events, images, topo and others) under the custom directory for all OneClick servers? One of the OneClick servers could be treated as the source and that could sync with the remaining OneClicks. This would help a lot with the overall Spectrum administration.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Ankur

07-12-2016 07:00 AM

Hi Kiran,

please could you provide some feedback about the current progress on this idea?

Thanks a lot!

03-18-2016 02:14 PM

This has been under review for about 9 months now.  Is there any news?

11-07-2014 05:10 AM

This can be done pretty quickly using REST or VNMSH.

Once you have copied all the files accross, you can initiate a 'reload events' action:

You send a REST query to each of the servers with the appropriate action code. You can also do this using vnmsh:

./connect

for VNM_MH in $(cat /share/fileContainingVnmModelHandles) ; do /opt/spectrum/vnmsh/update action=0x100a2 mh=$VNM_MH ; done

./disconnect

We use the RESTFul query. The nice thing about REST is that you can run the query from any host as long as you have the Spectrum credentials to run it. With VNMSH you have to run a script locally on the host (if you haven't got all your ssh keys set up!).

Regards,

Frank

10-31-2014 09:49 AM

I agree it would be nice to have a GUI way of doing this.  For now though, this can be effectively automated/scripted:

1. Automate syncing files from central place to each VNM and OneClick
    1. Rsync/scp/etc.
    2. Use SSH keys to avoid password prompts
  2. Automate Updating each VNM
    1. VNMSH update action code 0x100a2 for each VNM model handle
  3. Automate Updating each OneClick
    1. wget --user=spectrum --password=spectrum -O - "http://ONECLICK_HOST:8080/spectrum/admin/ecds.jsp?reload=Reload"

10-31-2014 09:35 AM

I think the problem is that we need to open each vnm, expand some tabs and click to update, but sometimes we need to do this very fast because we have a large and a critical environment.

A button to update all landscape Events should be enough.

09-02-2014 04:04 AM

One thing that works (for now, while CA work out if this is something they will add) is if you have a common share/mount point you can create symlinks so all spectrum servers point to the same location. This works well with a few components of spectrum and also depends on the reliability of the share itself. If you have a very reliable share then this will work.

07-24-2014 11:00 PM

Hello Lesley,

@I'm surprised that as of Jul 23 2014 that CA are saying that they will review this when it has been kicking around since 2012.

I apologize for the delay, while we did not have enough bandwidth to review all the ideas - I will not elaborate on it. We have fell short in this area over last couple years and we take this feedback from you with an assurance to try and be as fast as possible. Thanks for taking time to post the ideas and please continue to do so.

Regards,

Kiran Diwakar

07-24-2014 10:53 PM

Hello Lesley,

Completely with you on this - I acknowledge and agree that there are sections that are not communicating the process as effectively as they could.

Let me articulate how we have discussed with our support and recommended them to follow:

You can open an Enhancement Request either through an ER (CA Support) or through Ideation (Communities). Both are legitimate.

ER through CA Support: Here is we accept the ER, its straightforward. If we decline due to architectural constraints, we get it to a logical conclusion easily as well. If we decline because we don't see as much demand in the broader customer base, I have suggested support to try and check if the requester is willing to open an idea and see the demand by themselves. Not only does the requester get a chance to garner support, he/she might be able to find workarounds or other solutions on the community

Ideation: I would recommend this to be the preferred way if the requester strongly believes that this is something that a broad set of users would be "needing". You get the idea in the top 5 voted, and we assure it gets into the next release (assuming it is architecturally and technically feasible).

So there is no one right answer, you can use both mechanisms as per your convenience. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kiran Diwakar

07-24-2014 12:46 PM

Sam,

Thank you.

I will have a better look.

I have to say, it's not obvious by anyone's stretch of imagination!

When people complain that this site is large, cumbersome and not easy to navigate, (and I'm one of them) this is exactly what they mean.

Thanks for your help today.

Lesley

Sent from my iPhone

07-24-2014 12:32 PM

Hi Lesley,

Following Stuart's directions if you choose "Participated" instead of "Authored" and then filter to Ideas you will see all the ideas that you have voted on or commented on.  This should include any that you authored that were converted during a migration.

Thanks,

Sam

07-24-2014 12:30 PM

Sam,

I am concerned that when I go and look for everything that I have authored as Stuart suggested, this does not show as an Idea in the list, it just shows my original query/question.

Maybe there is another way for me to find "My Ideas"?

Thanks

Lesley

07-24-2014 12:24 PM

I also remember converting this to an idea because to me it seemed like an obvious and easy one to implement.

I even mention that in my 2012 comment asking for others to promote it but it doesn't show as an idea.

This is rather disconcerting and now I feel that I have to go and review all of my posts and ideas.

Lesley

07-24-2014 12:24 PM

Hi Stuart and Lesley,

Unfortunately the original system we used for ideation did not allow for the authors to be moved when we migrated between communities.  That's how the ca.portal.admin showed as the original author when Lesley created an idea out of her message.  Here is the Idea she created: Spectrum Trap Mapping in a DSS Env using AlarmNotifier

ErinBank can you address the Ideas vs ER issue raised here?

Thanks,

Sam

07-24-2014 12:17 PM

Thank you Stuart. I've learnt something new today :-)

Found it.

Spectrum Trap Mapping in a DSS Env using AlarmNotifier

And here is another of my beefs. Being told to use Ideation/Ideas and then when I do, being told to raise an ER.

Which one is it CA?  I don't want to have to do everything twice!!!

Lesley

07-24-2014 12:09 PM

l.pearson, go to "Content", then "Authored", then "Ideas". That apparently shows the ideas opened since the new system went live, although I would have expected it to show all Ideas that I've authored, even if it was on the old system.

SamCreek, it doesn't look like the original idea submitter carried over from the old system

07-24-2014 10:29 AM

There are lots of strange formatting problems on these pages from where it looks as though old ideas have been moved across.

I can see above that there is a comment that I made on 18th April 2012 regarding this and I stated that I had also created an "idea" for this issue. But the link to my idea is no longer visible. Thte title of the "idea" was Spectrum Trap Mapping in a DSS Env"

I'm surprised that as of Jul 23 2014 that CA are saying that they will review this when it has been kicking around since 2012.

I'm struggling to find anywhere that I can see ALL of the ideas that I have raised so that I can verify the status of them.

Lesley

07-23-2014 05:16 AM

We will have someone review this and determine how much effort would be involved to do this and based on that we would update the team.

Regards,

Kiran Diwakar

06-24-2013 09:28 AM

I support this idea.<br><br>I have this problem too<br><br>Regards

06-24-2013 09:27 AM

This would be nice for large environments.<br>Have my support for this.<br><br>[]s<br><br>VW

04-18-2012 06:14 AM

Hi,<br>I have also created an idea for the very same issue;<br>Spectrum Trap Mapping in a DSS Env using AlarmNotifier<br>10 Feb 2012<br><br>Please promote mine and I&#39;ll promote yours<br><br>Lesley