Idea Details

IIS web server available for all SDM functionality.

Last activity 05-31-2019 01:58 AM
Kyle_R's profile image
11-20-2012 09:20 PM

Add IIS web server functionality to all components which are currently Tomcat only eg:

* Web Services

* Attachments

* Etc

This would allow "IIS Only/Preferred" shops to best use the skills of their administrators.

Comments

09-01-2017 12:49 PM

Thank you for submitting this idea. The product team has reviewed this idea and determined that we will not be changing the classic SDM approach to integration with IIS and Tomcat. New development (xFlow architecture) supports both approaches to allow our customers flexibility in how they choose to implement the solution.

Therefore, I have marked the idea as not planned. 

We greatly value your contributions to our community and are committed to continued engagement with you to improve our products. We hope to have you participate in the transformation process. Please be sure to stay tuned to the community for news of related events.

05-16-2016 08:11 AM

I would like to see an IIS-only option like Tomcat-only in the current SDM configuration screens.

I have seen customers requesting for an answer how to configure Service Desk Manager - SiteMinder Integration and the Green Book recommends to use IIS and disable the access to the port 8080 using Windows Firewall, to block the access to the Tomcat Login Screen. This is not possible in current architecture of SDM where there is no option for IIS only configuration.

Having said that , I am not sure how the attachments would fare if there is no concept of tomcat / port. Integration might work but its not possible to use the attachments any more.

03-09-2016 07:22 AM

Hi Kyle,

There we go: Fine Tuning Tomcat for better performance

First quick draft feel free to enhance.

/J

03-08-2016 10:37 PM

Thanks Jerome,

Everyone,

We could always do with more recommendations on tuning Tomcat specifically for CA Service Desk Manager/ITSM.

In particular our large sites are keen to avoid the edge cases with the out-of-the-box settings.

You're welcome to write up a thread and link to it here. If we get enough, we'll update/create a Wiki page or TEC document.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

03-08-2016 01:34 PM

yes agree tomcat only is my preferred configuration too.

crash happening on tomcat are mostly due to wrong configuration or either some time CA choice of implementation.

Tomcat is a well known webserver largely used worldwide and known to be stable when properly setup.

majority of my setup are on tomcat only and are stable for years.

02-02-2016 01:43 AM

No objections on offering a IIS-only option for the ones who swing that way but, for the love of your chosen deity, do not remove the option to choose Tomcat-only.

09-17-2015 12:03 AM

Hello Raghu,

Sorry, I don't think so.  

Given the lack of love for Tomcat and by extension, Apache, on this thread, I'd recommend you log it as a new Idea and cross link with this one.

It's also probably a big enough coding project in its own right.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

09-16-2015 10:27 PM

Could Apache Web Server for Non Windows platforms be an addendum for this IIS Idea on Windows?

_R

09-09-2015 03:21 PM

I agree, we spend more time dealing with security related issues with Tomcat.  We would really benefit from IIS only / preferred...

09-04-2015 03:50 AM

I have nothing against Tomcat itself to be honest but it's removal would simplify the task of ensuring against security vulnerabilities in the solution. At the moment maintaining a balance between CA support and being on the latest supported version of embedded tools (including Tomcat) is a hard task and generates a lot of unnecessary work in testing and release.

08-28-2015 05:04 PM

Agreed.  I despise Tomcat.  Have had to restart tomcat so many times since 2008 I could do it blind folded, upside down, using only my tongue if I had to.  IIS has dropped and needed to be restarted 2 times in 7 years.

08-23-2013 05:22 AM

I like this idea considering the number of Tomcat 'crash' and time spent on making fixes for such issues that we see everyday.