Idea Details

Traceroute Via SpectroSERVER

Last activity 05-31-2019 02:18 AM
Arent's profile image
11-21-2013 06:13 AM

Hello Product Development, Community,

We should have a "traceroute [via the SpectroSERVER]" option in the OneClick RightClick and Tools menu. When we lose connectivity to e.g. a group of devices and a routing problem is suspected, a right-click 'traceroute' option would greatly help the troubleshooting by providing insight in the routing between SpectroSERVER and the unreachable device.

Since the OneClick clients are usually located on a different network, any traceroute run on the client does not provide the required information. Same goes for traceroute through a OneClick server as it may well be located in a different network from the SpectroSERVER(s).

Thanks for your consideration and please be invited to vote this up.

Comments

05-23-2018 05:18 AM

Hi Nagesh, All,

If the output from the "traceroute from SpectroSERVER" is not available in OneClick, as the comments here suggest then yes, please reopen this Idea.

Thanks,

Arent

05-16-2018 11:59 AM

Stating that this idea was delivered when it's only enabled for WebClient isn't an accurate claim. After all, WebClient has only a small subset of the full OneClick functionality, so it in itself is not an alternative to Oneclick.

BTW, is the WebClient traceroute performed from the Oneclick server or from the Assurance server?

04-12-2018 03:04 PM

Was this ever resolved or posted?  We are looking to do the same, run TraceRoute from DSS via OC.

11-28-2017 12:51 PM

Hi Nagesh_Jaiswal

Do you have a link to this knowledge document please?

Regards, John

02-15-2016 07:04 AM

Thanks for the customization

02-01-2016 05:42 AM

Hello frank.daeter1.1,

Why would you ping or poll the device which is not managed by Spectrum? Trying to understand the use case. Can you elaborate more please?

Thanks,

Nagesh

02-01-2016 05:38 AM

Hello franktonjes and Frank_Elliger,

Thanks for your response. What we will do is publish a knowledge document on how one can use the REST call to use Trace route. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Nagesh 

02-01-2016 05:38 AM

Also our users want use this (traceroute) in OneClick even like  "Ping" or "Poll".
But also to use "Ping" for a device not already managed in Spectrum (so with option to enter an IP address) in OneClick.

Regards,

Frank

02-01-2016 05:15 AM

Hello Nagesh,

thank you for the quick response!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with REST, so I can't answer to this part.

I can only say, my users want use this in OneClick even like  "Ping" or "Poll".

I would agree, if you want to reopen the idea. (But, it was not my idea...)

Thanks, Frank

02-01-2016 05:09 AM

Hi Nagesh.

Yes please, REST calls are always helpful

Many Thanks!

Regards,

Frank.

02-01-2016 04:51 AM

Hello Frank_Elliger,

That is correct. This option is only enabled for WebClient. And currently is not present in OnleClick.

For now if we expose the REST call to you guys then would it be helpful?

Also if you and community members agree I can reopen the idea to continue tracking on this?

Thanks,

Nagesh

02-01-2016 04:14 AM

Hello Nagesh,

you have provided it in the new WebClient. O.k., but where is it in OneClick?

I can't find it!

Is it possible, that you have provided it only to WebClient?

If so, that's no good idea.

And, sorry, that's not, what I understand as "delivered"

Regards, Frank

01-14-2016 06:36 AM

Folks,

The idea is delivered as part of CA Spectrum 10.1 release. This option is provided in newly introduced WebClient.

Thanks,

Nagesh

06-15-2015 01:31 AM

There are a few ways to run programs on remote machines:

- psexec utility (you have to find and download it)

- winrs (Windows Remote Shell) - just open a command prompt and type "winrs /?" for detailed command help

Personally I have worked with psexec and it works pretty well. However there were occasions when the remote psexec session didn't close properly so further attempt were unsuccessful until the process was closed properly).

I haven't worked with winrs yet but it looks like it might just work.

06-11-2015 01:30 PM

It will be in one of the next version  . ..  I believe. *-)

If You would like to do something, like that. … something else than Tracert…

Wrap it in a script which resides and runs at the Oneclick.

Inside the Script do a Session (SSH) to the Spectroserver and execute the commands there ..  do not forget the close the SSH-Session at the end.…

I have not done it by myself. I have only heard from customers which used this way to implement things like these.

Best Regards

Erich

Von: d.pereyra

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 11. Juni 2015 17:03

An: Heinemann, Erich

Betreff: Re:  - Traceroute Via SpectroSERVER

CA Communities <https://communities.ca.com/?et=watches.email.idea_comment>

new comment by d.pereyra<https://communities.ca.com/people/d.pereyra> View all comments on this idea<https://communities.ca.com/ideas/105084700#comment-233913000>

06-11-2015 11:01 AM

My mistake, i have spectroserver and oneclick on same machine. Will be nice can monitoring trace routes to some devices, to alarm when the path change.

06-11-2015 10:55 AM

Thank you for the customization.

This works well for local traceroutes from the OneClick client.  What ware a eagerly awaiting is for an option to perform the traceroute from the SpectroSERVER.  As the original request indicates, many times the OneClick client is on a separate network from the SpectroSERVER, so we need a way to run the traceroute from the SpectroSERVER.

I don't wish to diminish the value of the update that you provided, thank you.  I just want to make sure that the traceroute from the SpectroSERVER stays on the roadmap.

06-11-2015 09:38 AM

Hi, here you have the code por a local tracer in onclick

custom-menu-config.xml

<item name="Tracert Local">

<accelerator modifiers="2">VK_T</accelerator>

<toolbar-image>images/tracert_gris.png</toolbar-image>

<toolbar-image-rollover>images/tracert.png</toolbar-image-rollover>

<toolbar-image-disabled>images/tracert_gris.png</toolbar-image-disabled>

<action>

<filter><has-attribute>AttributeID.NETWORK_ADDRESS</has-attribute></filter>

<context>com.aprisma.spectrum.app.topo.client.render.ModelContext </context>

<context>com.aprisma.spectrum.app.alarm.client.group.AlarmContext </context>

<launch-application>

<platform>

<os-name>Windows 9x</os-name>

<command>command.com /c start "Local traceroute {0}" cmd.exe /c "tracert.exe {0} &amp;&amp; pause"</command>

</platform>

<platform>

<os-name>Windows 2000</os-name>

<command>cmd.exe /c start "Local traceroute {0}" cmd.exe /c "tracert.exe {0} &amp;&amp; pause"</command>

</platform>

<platform>

<os-name>Windows XP</os-name>

<command>cmd.exe /c start "Local traceroute {0}" cmd.exe /c "tracert.exe {0} &amp;&amp; pause"</command>

</platform>

<platform>

<os-name>Windows</os-name>

</platform>

<platform>

<command>/usr/bin/xfce4-terminal -H -x tracepath -nb {0}</command>

<display-output stdout="t"/>

</platform>

<param>

<attribute>AttributeID.NETWORK_ADDRESS</attribute>

</param>

</launch-application>

</action>

</item>

06-11-2015 09:17 AM

Please make this option flexible, so it can also used for IP addresses that not exist in Spectrum.

So it's possible to check connectivity for new devices before they are added to Spectrum

06-09-2015 10:25 AM

Folks,

This idea is lined up and planned for future releases of CA Spectrum.

Thanks,

Nagesh

03-28-2015 05:21 AM

Thanks for posting the idea for CA Spectrum. We are currently reviewing this idea. We will get back on this soon.

Thanks,

Nagesh

03-18-2015 04:45 AM

Yes, you need to test the traceroute from the actual SpectroSERVER as this is where the models are located, and when Spectrum polls it does so from the landscape which contains the device model.

You can create a web page hosted on the oneclick which invokes a ssh command to remotely execute a traceroute and display the output in a web page.

If you use SystemEDGE agents on your servers, you could use SNMP queries to invoke the traceroute as well, but this requires some configuration.

12-03-2014 08:37 AM

Thanks for getting me thinking Rob.  If I setup ssh keys from the OneClick servers to the SpectroSERVERs, I may be able to do that without requiring them to log in.  I'll give that a try later.  (our environment is all Linux (Centos 5 VMs)).

12-03-2014 08:29 AM

Are you running the servers on Linux or Solaris? Might be able to do something with remote execution via SSH. When I get some time, I can try it out.

12-03-2014 08:25 AM

From the SpectroSERVER.  That is the only way to troubleshoot some network issues.  From the OneClick server provides no value as those are on separate networks than the SpectroSERVERs.

12-03-2014 08:19 AM

Do You need it really from the SpectroServer or the Oneclick?

Regards

Erich

Von: Bill_Barnes

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 3. Dezember 2014 14:08

An: Heinemann, Erich

Betreff: Re:  - Traceroute Via SpectroSERVER

CA Communities <https://communities.ca.com/?et=watches.email.idea_comment>

new comment by Bill_Barnes<https://communities.ca.com/people/Bill_Barnes> View all comments on this idea<https://communities.ca.com/ideas/105084700#comment-233901067>

12-03-2014 08:07 AM

Thank you for the information, but we really need the ability to run the traceroute on the SpectroSERVER without requiring the user to log into the SpectroSERVER or OneClick server.  Our network engineers do not have access to our physical boxes, however they are constantly asking us for traceroutes to various systems.  So today they are constantly opening up tickets with us to perform this menial activity.  It would be a big improvement for us to let them run the traceroutes themselves as simply as they can run pings and polls today.

10-01-2014 10:44 AM

Which OS is Your Spectroserver and which OS is Your OneclickServer?

.. If Linux, try to start a SSH-Session and start the traceroute from the Oneclick on the Spectroserver…

10-01-2014 08:40 AM

What we need is a traceroute that is similar to the poll and ping from server options.  Having a simple traceroute menu pick that would perform a traceroute from the user's desktop or the OneClick server (server side script) is not useful in determining why a SpectroSERVER can not contact a device.  We need to have a way to kick off a traceroute from the perspective of the SpectroSERVER.  Again today, I was asked for more traceroutes and had to log into the SpectroSERVER to kick it off.  If I had a menu pick in OneClick, then that would let the user community perform that function themselves.

We have been asking for this functionality for years.  Another option, send me the code for the telnetd daemon and I'll update it to support traceroute.

07-16-2014 06:08 AM

Hi, this function is partly covered via the capabilities of the custom-menu-config.xml

With this file You are able to integrate Your own Check-scripts.

So far I know, traceroute is already a given example to let it execute on the Oneclick-Server.

If the Oneclick-Server is installed on the Spectroserver this fits 100% to Your requirement.

Check the Documentation Spectrum_OneClick_Customization_User_ENU.pdf

Tehn search for

<launch-web-server-script>

... Launches a script available on the web server.

With that, the Menu for devices could be extended to start a Traceroute or tracert.

Best Regards

Erich

01-14-2014 07:28 PM

Agree