Idea Details

Rebuild of CMDB Visualizer on modern technology like HTML5

Last activity 21 days ago
greud01's profile image
12-01-2015 02:59 PM

Adobe Flash is slowly dying for several good reasons (http://www.businessinsider.com/adobe-flash-is-dying-a-death-by-1000-cuts-and-thats-a-good-thing-2015-8?IR=T).

Unfortunately the CMDB Visualizer of CA Service Desk Manager is completly relying on Flash technology.

As the Visualizer is a huge differentiator to competitors in that area I'd suggest to have a HTML5 based successor.

This could probably be seamlessly integrated in the web GUI of Service Desk Manager.

Advantages:

• no installation of Flash (security risks) necessary
  • No aditional ports for the Visualizer servlet necessary (=> Firewall, Loadbalacer etc.)
  • maybe it is open to customization
  • more easy and direct lauch of Visualizer in several SDM web GUI contexts
    (CI Detail, CI Lists, Change/Incident Detail for root cause and impact analysis, CAB view, ...)

Tom Starke pointed out this article (thanks for that!):

Even Adobe wants everyone to quit using Flash

it shows even Adobe itself starts recommending to move away from Flash.

Comments

21 days ago

Hello,

we use Chrome browser and we want to know more about this new : https://www.chromium.org/flash-roadmap#TOC-Flash-Disabled-by-Default-Target:-Chrome-76---July-2019-

Thanks & regards,
Laurent.

03-19-2019 06:00 AM

Are there any information if this idea is going to be improved?

02-07-2019 07:59 PM

This technology might be useful to support configurable mouse-over text, as requested by a customer here:

CMDB Visualizer Info 

Thanks, Kyle_R.

05-03-2018 08:06 AM

Thank you for the additional feedback and concerns regarding the delivery of the new visualizer. Understanding your concerns regarding the requirement of the xFlow architecture, we will look into what technology can be used that will allow usage within the classic UI as well.

04-26-2018 08:03 AM

I also have to second Grant.

Your decision means that all your client must be on xFlow in the next year and a half or otherwise they will have to forget the visualizer since the flash based version won't be usable.

Seems a little harsh to me.

And even if the visualizer is accessible from SDM, it means that we will need a complete server with 32 gig of ram (as per the doc) to run xFlow just to get the visualizer.

Please reconsider.

04-26-2018 07:50 AM

Hi,

most of my customers using CMDB use Visualizer in Config- and Change- context and not only in the context of 1st Level support.

It's mainly used for RISC-Analysis in Change-Management and naturally as informational possibility to get information about the environmental situation.

So I also see the necessity to have it available in classical interface and it should not be necessary to install xFlow for getting it available.

Regards,

Peter

04-26-2018 07:38 AM

I'll second Grant's comment above - I would like the CMDB Visualizer to be available for the Classic web interface also.

04-26-2018 07:14 AM

Thank you Carol,

I do want to point out that the typical use cases for the Visualizer lie with Problem Management/Change Management and last I checked these features were still unavailable in xFlow.  I don't like that your team seems to have abandoned the classic UI, we don't have plans to use xFlow.

Secondly, will the visualizer buttons on Change Orders/CIs in the classic UI be updated to open the xFlow visualizer app?

04-26-2018 06:37 AM

Hi Grant,

The visualizer will be an app in xFlow.

04-26-2018 12:31 AM

Hi Carol,

Will this be available in the classic UI or will it be an xFlow feature?

04-25-2018 02:38 PM

Yes it is pier-olivier.tremblay.  You can check out where this stands by attending any of the upcoming roadmap sessions (https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-service-management/events-list/?eventTypes=3).

04-23-2018 08:24 AM

CarolPiccus, is this one in the dev pipeline?

02-22-2018 03:23 PM

greud01, jmayer - Thank you for the input on customer's timelines. We will use this information to help us prioritize the work.

02-15-2018 07:45 AM

Hi Carol,

the official dead line must not your objective as many companies are already moving away or plan to do really soon. Several of our clients have already ban flash from their app portfolio.

Looking forward to have this coming soon...

12-05-2017 11:06 AM

as a quick update:

Today we got the planned date of mid-2019 from a german customer for them to abandon flash player throughout their entire organization.

12-03-2017 12:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Carol !

12-01-2017 02:46 PM

greud01 -

I can't give a time frame other than our plan is to have the replacement in place before the deadline. We are currently working on the design. Once that is complete, we will look into putting this into our development plan. Once it is committed to a plan, we will update the Idea to "Currently Planned".

Regards,

Carol

11-23-2017 11:05 AM

Time and again I get asked by customers about the plans when flash will be removed from our products. Just want to keep this matter in mind and rolling.

Any ideas about the rough timeframe?

Customers will be reluctant to allow using flash long before the final adobe deadline of 2020.

10-19-2017 12:40 PM

Thank you Carol for mentioning this and thanks Udo for creating this idea.

07-28-2017 01:13 AM

Finally Adobe has given us a date:

Given this progress, and in collaboration with several of our technology partners – including Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Mozilla – Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.

Full article can be found here:

Flash & The Future of Interactive Content 

07-17-2017 06:55 AM

Hello Carol,

thank you for this news.

I'm heavily supporting Michaels ideas as well and if we really end up in a " flexible configuarable hierarchy visualizer",

for sure I will be one of the first who will celebrate .. ;-)

Regards

Peter

07-16-2017 08:27 AM

Thank you Udo.

You speak out right from my Soul

Regards

...........Michael

07-16-2017 06:38 AM

Thank you, Carol, for this great news and promised feedback.

I guess we're all looking forward to what's coming up in the future.

If you have a chance to take Michaels suggestions mentioned above into account as well

I guess all SDM people would celebrate this even more

Michael's Ideas:

Another additional approach:

while visualizer is displaying hierarchical data in a  CI context, it may make sense to have a more general approach in viewing hierarchical data:

For example,

• in a complex environment. it is quite common that a complex change order has several child changes , which may have children as well. To get a better overview of such a situation why not displaying these kind of hierarchical data in a hierarchy visualizer as well.
  • huge customers may have a hierarchical organization which is reflected in their contact and organization/company data
  • Or contact data is organized from a geographical point of view with locations and sites and countries
  • Complex setups with tenancy would be another example for hierarchical  data.

The idea behind is a flexible configuarable hierarchy visualizer, which can be adopted to different kinds of hierarchical data .

Many Thanks again & Regards

Udo

07-14-2017 03:48 PM

Thank you for all of the feedback on this Idea.

We have begun the process of designing a new visualizer based on the xFlow architecture (removing dependency on Adobe Flash). We are leaving this as "wish-listed" for now in alignment with our roadmap. However, we will update the stage on this Idea when anticipated delivery is expected in the near-term roadmap.

02-15-2017 08:21 AM

I voted, In several projects the interface is questioned.

09-27-2016 11:14 AM

Keeping pace and up to date with technology is always good. 

07-11-2016 10:23 AM

This idea is being 'Wish-Listed' based on community inputs so far.

06-06-2016 02:02 AM

An alternative to Adobe Flash would be good.

01-28-2016 02:37 PM

If you could enhance the adding / removing of relationships from the visualizer view. So much potential.

01-05-2016 03:12 AM

Hi Michael,

this approach does exactly reflect what we are looking for ... thanks.

Regards

Peter

12-04-2015 06:40 AM

Another additional approach:

while visualizer is displaying hierarchical data in a  CI context, it may make sense to have a more general approach in viewing hierarchical data:

For example,

• in a complex environment. it is quite common that a complex change order has several child changes , which may have children as well. To get a better overview of such a situation why not displaying these kind of hierarchical data in a hierarchy visualizer as well.
  • huge customers may have a hierarchical organization which is reflected in their contact and organization/company data
  • Or contact data is organized from a geographical point of view with locations and sites and countries
  • Complex setups with tenancy would be another example for hierarchical  data.

The idea behind is a flexible configuarable hierarchy visualizer, which can be adopted to different kinds of hierarchical data .

Regards

.............Michael

12-04-2015 05:05 AM

Good morning,

most of the customers go from fat clients to virtualized clients in terminal server farms.

Flash technology is a big issue for terminal servers as this technology uses a lot of ressources.

An additional point for HTML5 based user interfaces.

Regards,

Andreas

12-03-2015 10:00 AM

Hi,

that's a really urgent thing.

We have customers switching off Flash Player because of the risc.

They already now cannot use the visualizer.

There are already customers who  decided to switch off FlashPlayer in 2nd quarter of 2017.

Regards,

Peter