Idea Details

Underscore in DNS Name

Last activity 06-13-2019 09:34 AM
Matthew Spiewak's profile image
06-22-2016 11:20 AM

We have a load-balancer link to a web service that has an underscore in the DNS name, ex. webservice_test.com.  When PAM tries to run a web service call against that link the SOAP call fails and provides the following error message:

"SOAP invocation failed: java.security.PrivilegedActionException: com.sun.xml.messaging.saaj.SOAPExceptionImpl: Message send failed"

From this message is is very unclear as to what the problem is.  Having an underscore in the DNS name for the load balancer might not be the best practice but it is supported and many other tools outside of PAM have no issues with this.  I would ask that PAM be able to handle this or at least display a better error message as to why the operator failed.  As a process designer when things work perfectly fine outside of PAM and then you try to build a process with them and run into issues like this it can be extremely frustrating.

Comments

12-30-2016 12:08 AM

Hi Matt,

This sounds more of a defect than an idea/enhancement. I had a discussion with my Product architect chaki06 and we are currently working to fix the same.

Thanks

Vinay

06-22-2016 11:46 AM

Good update.  Lets hope we can build this functionality into the product!

06-22-2016 11:44 AM

I've changed the title to reflect more accurately.  The hostname for a server does not have an underscore in it, just the DNS name for the load balanced link.  As DNS names are supported with underscores I would expect PAM to handle it and at the least display a better error message.  Thanks for the comment.

06-22-2016 11:37 AM

Ive given you an upvote on this Matt, as other client have run into this problem before.

But an Underscore is not a valid character for hostnames per RFCs 1034 and 1035 and it is unlikely that we will support them

Hostname - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"While a hostname may not contain other characters, such as the underscore character (_), other DNS names may contain the underscore.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname#cite_note-4"