Idea Details

API for NFA

Last activity 07-23-2019 07:47 AM
Anon Anon's profile image
08-28-2015 05:21 AM

We get more and more requests from different teams inside Cisco to be able to access the raw data in NFA. It would really be helpful if we would have an API for NFA so the other teams can connect their applications to it and thus retrieve the data they would like to see.

Comments

09-26-2018 11:40 AM

FYI, NFA Product Management is looking for customers to Beta test the next release of NFA with API features and AWS VPC Flow log support, see the link below:

CA Network Flow Analysis: Beta Validation Program 

03-27-2018 02:15 PM

The use case "Define/remove an aggregation" would have helped us to fulfill the requirement of our customer... 

02-08-2018 09:20 AM

Most of them are also for our customer relevant and absolutely meaningful. 

02-08-2018 09:19 AM

Another (new) one of our customer: Automate Interface Aggregations

02-08-2018 05:37 AM

Here a a few things I think about (and some have already been described in the previous post):
* Enable/disable collection of interfaces on a router
* Define/remove an aggregation
* Change the sampling on a router
* Delete a router using the name or the IP address
* Assign an SNMP community on a router
* Trigger a discovery on a router giving its name or IP address
* Assign a device into a specific tenant
* Add/remove custom attributes on devices and/or interfaces
* Trigger a report run
* Generate and send a report by e-mail

02-08-2018 01:55 AM

Hi Nagesh, here are a few of our use cases in the backlog (large TelCo, where hundreds of routers are in NFA monitored with NFA where often several kinds of changes in the network occur): 

Automatic Interface Enabling & Disabling

Automatic Router- & Interface-Delete

Automatic Rename of ifName & ifDescription (CAPC Grouping Rule relevant)

Workaround the Limitations when SNMP Profile‘s flag „use by default“ = false 

Extract NFA Flowdata as we can do with OpenAPI in CAPM (eg to ELK for Data Analytics and End Customer "Live" Dashboards)

02-08-2018 01:10 AM

Dear NFA Community Users, 

We are reviewing this idea currently. We will keep the community posted on the progress we make. 

Meanwhile if the community member can come up with the use cases on how they plan to use NFA API then it would be great help. 

Thanks,

Nagesh 

01-31-2018 02:02 AM

Would also appreciate some feedback on the progress from Product Management. 

10-16-2017 09:42 AM

Just got the same request Today. I also heard that is something going on in terms of roadmap, but it would be good to have the Product Management words here. AnujGupta

05-03-2017 01:40 AM

Cause the last post was before 3 months ... is there anything new? Some official statement would be really great.

02-22-2017 05:08 AM

Come on! API!!!! That should be the first thing we provide!

01-02-2017 04:59 AM

Its a great idea to integrate because splunk has  some extraordinary analytical functions and can help in digging network bottlenecks

12-08-2016 10:34 AM

I think "already working on it" is a very optimistic viewpoint.  Being looked at, considered... sure... and that's been going on for quite a while.

At this point, we are tired of waiting and are working on sending netflow to kafka, and then route it appropriately.  

12-08-2016 10:15 AM

Just wanted to create the same idea since my customer need this too for a specific use case. I am glad CA is already working on this!

09-09-2016 09:39 AM

I would like to have an Online Chat Session with Product Management to get more details and share use cases with other customers/users/partners.

09-09-2016 09:03 AM

Wish I had the same response – I haven’t received any indication that this is remotely close.  Under Consideration, IMHO, is about as non-committal as you can get.  How about someone from senior management getting out in front for everyone, and responding?  Too much to ask?

09-09-2016 01:15 AM

As far as I heard from NFA Productmanagement, they are definitely working on this.

We are waiting for latest roadmaps so that this is included there for future releases at least as “under consideration” or even as “planned”.

09-08-2016 04:28 AM

At the last CA event at Ditton Park this was raised and they did mention that there is a lot of work to improve on this. NFA is one of the only products to not offer any API so I think they are working on this. Would be nice to get an 'official' response though - just to see how far down they line they are!

09-07-2016 12:33 PM

I would be also interested in updates on this, we have several use cases for NFA-API.

09-07-2016 10:53 AM

My vote makes 40...  perhaps an update from PM on this product could be included on the next Infrastructure Management webcast??

07-09-2016 10:49 AM

What’s really bothersome here is that – at least in my opinion – the NFA data has surpassed the SNMP data in criticality.  The snmp data is nice, and it’s required, especially from a capacity viewpoint, and initial trouble-shooting, but the customers are asking for application flow data, not SNMP data.  So, while the CAPC group has done a great job with this product, the NFA tool has essentially stood still.

At some point, the Netflow tool will determine which SNMP tool we use, not vice-versa….

My 2 cents…

07-07-2016 12:28 PM

Don’t even get me started…

07-07-2016 12:03 PM

Definitely needed. I think out of all of the CA Tools, this one is the most manual.

07-07-2016 11:59 AM

Can anyone from the product team comment on this?  We've got 30+ up votes on what seems to be a really useful and needed feature.  Thanks.

06-07-2016 10:18 PM

Have a exactly the same request. CAPM has a good solution for this, why not NFA follow up ?

03-08-2016 11:51 AM

Just had a request for this today.  Any updates from product management as to whether or not this is in the works?  Thanks.

09-11-2015 11:41 AM

For administration, a REST api is needed badly -- especially now that NFA has broken ties with requiring CAPC/NetQoS.  How are people without CAPC/NetQoS doing any at-scale administration of this tool?

For the underlying data itself, it would be great to see OpenAPI make its way into the NFA product.

08-28-2015 07:17 AM

Needed - BADLY.  As much as I think the CAPC product has improved - NFA?  Not so much.  The whole future of this product seems to be secretive.  Very frustrating.  It's old and it shows.

08-28-2015 06:37 AM

I think there is something in the queue in regards to an API - but this needs to be confirmed by NFA Product Management.