Idea Details

ESP: Request to Automate Event File Trigger 'Reset' to Active when receiving a "Scan Failed"

Last activity 12-31-2018 10:42 AM
dkoveveri's profile image
04-04-2016 09:51 AM

ESP: Received a 'Not active. "Scan Failed"; "The 'path/file' does not exist or not a directory" error message/email on our event level file triggers.  Both clusters were down due to maintenance resulting in this error message.  In order to make this active, we had to manually suspend and resume the event. We are requesting an automated process where no manual intervention is needed to make those event level FT's active again and/or preventing that error.

This new capability should be available for FILE_TRIGGER as well.

Comments

09-21-2016 12:00 AM

We also  track ESPM6907E messages and send out email so EVENT/s can reset manually. 

During our monthly server outages we see a lot of  Scan Failed errors

04-13-2016 10:49 AM

We have been working on that for some time, but didn't have specific error messages to look for.  I also added email alerts to 2 problem triggers yesterday, and they worked perfectly last night.  I think  we will use the email notification within the event as a workaround until we are able to implement the OPS/VMS option with our mainframe folks.

04-13-2016 10:26 AM

Jonathan,

To answer your question, “How do you have these set up so
you get an email?
”, I have prepare the following explanation.

In our environment we use OPS/MVS as a monitor for
specific error messages, one of them being ESP6907E. This error message appears
in our MVSLOG or system log, which is KEY to having OPS/MVS detect and act on
the occurrence of the error. The action we have OPS/MVS programmed for when the
error message ESP6907E appears is send out an alert notification e-mail to our
support teams.    

04-12-2016 04:42 PM

Unfortunately we don't always get that.  In facet, I've got 2 that are in a scan failed state currently.  I have verified that there are no entries for ESP6907E in the log.

04-12-2016 09:22 AM

We use automation to key off error message ESP6907E and send our notifications from there.

04-11-2016 10:53 AM

Thanks!  I'll certainly give this a shot and repot back!

04-11-2016 10:43 AM

Jonathan,

A couple of notes.

Placing the "NOFITY FAIL MAILBOX(<mailboxname>)" in the appl will not capture the "Scan Failed" failure in the event.  Also, as you are probably aware, alerts are not available at the event level.

Below is a sample of what it looks like in the EVENT statement

/*************************************************/                   

/* DEFINED BY POWDO03  AT 10.36 ON MON 11APR2016 */                   

/*            LAST RUN AT 18.25 ON THU 19NOV2015 */                   

/*************************************************/                   

EVENT ID(PREFIX.NAME) MAILBOX(POWDO03)  SYSTEM(X114DPM)  REPLACE 

INVOKE 'HLQ.HLQ.APPL(APPLNAME)'                                   

ENDDEF                                                              

04-11-2016 10:14 AM

I'm actually thinking about that.  But here's a couple questions:  Would you use something like NOFITY FAIL MAILBOX(<mailboxname>) to tell it to only send an email in the event of a failure, as apposed to getting an email whenever the event fails etc.

Secondly, where in the event would that go?  Maybe after the CREATE statement like this?

EVENT ID(ESPPROD.<eventname>)  CLASS(PRODJOBS)  SYSTEM(MASTER)  REPLACE   

INVOKE 'SS.CAI.ESP.PROD.APPLLIB(<appnaname>)'                             

WOBTRIG FILE_TRIGGER Agent(<agentname>) -                                 

FileName('\\folder\folder\folder\folder -

Folder\filename) CREATE State(Monitored) -                     

Status('Monitored for CREATE') NOFITY FAIL MAILBOX(<mailboxname>)                                

04-11-2016 10:00 AM

Hi,

It is possible to add a MAILBOX(mailboxname) to the event. When the event goes failed it will send a message to the recipients of the mailbox.

To find more detail on this look at the "Command Reference Guide" under the "EVENT Command: Start Event Definition". I am not sure if you have mailboxes defined. Let me know if you have questions on this.

04-04-2016 10:14 AM

How do you have these set up so you get an email?  We generally don't know they have failed until someone complains!