Idea Details

Automated mass Agent upgrade

Last activity 05-31-2019 02:02 AM
Anon Anon's profile image
05-27-2013 11:13 AM

Problem statement:

Upgrading Agents is very much manual, difficult, error-prone, long, time consuming, tedious and boring.
It's probably one of the top reasons why customers don't upgrade and keep running old releases of Introscope for several years.

Proposed solution:

Since upgrading EMs is overall a lot simpler and cheaper (although there's still room for improvement, for example I would like to upgrade only my MOM and have it distribute updates to all of its Collectors), let's assume that I just upgraded my entire cluster to the latest release.

Now it's time to upgrade my Agents.

I would like to be able to select a group of Agents (there could be a new "Agent groups" object, or I"m eventually willing to select them one by one based on a regexp search results displayed in a table), click on the "Upgrade" button, be offered to upgrade Agents now or at a scheduled time (next Saturday night while I'm setting the dance floor on fire for example), and have the EM cluster automatically distribute those upgrades to all my selected Agents.
A few notes:
_It might not even have to restart the JVMs, that could still be my responsibility
_It should preserve my existing Agent configurations as much as possible

Comments

08-02-2016 06:02 AM

Hi Kristian,

We are not there yet, but we have started down the path. Since APM 10.2, you can create an Agent configuration in APM Command Center, and then distribute that to your Agents. And with APM 10.3, you can now choose to "upgrade" the config you created in 10.2 to 10.3 and preserve your customizations, which is going to save you all the diffing/merging ****.

In the future, we'll be looking at being able to push new Agent configurations remotely, and then to Agent groups as well.

07-29-2016 10:51 AM

Hi Florian (Florian_Cheval),

Has this feature been implemented already? If not, when can we expect it to be?

Thanks and best regards

Kristian

08-25-2015 11:17 AM

This is currently on APM Command Center's roadmap, marking this as "Planned"

04-24-2015 09:48 AM

It would be an interesting update on Command Center, since by now it only reads data from agents.

03-06-2015 10:07 AM

At my prev company agents were packaged along with the application and released as part of the app release cycle. For any out of turn configuration update we used puppet. seemed to work very with agile or continuous deployment

12-19-2014 04:07 PM

Any verion V8 or v9 will work.

12-12-2014 09:47 AM

Thanks Haruhiko!

Are there EM version requirements to use the remoteagentconfiguration functionality? Do all v9.x EMs support it?

12-10-2014 04:23 PM

The same is true for Siteminder agents!  I full support this effort.  We have many companies hosting for us outside of internal environment that run the SM agent and getting them upgraded is a pile of work.  Negotiating a good time, getting access to their servers, etc. 

07-25-2014 01:38 PM

For managing things like PBDs and profiles, I have customers utilizing the remoteagentconfiguration functionality. It works quite well since it utilizes CLW to make the magic happen.

All v8, v9 agents support this functionality.