Idea Details

Context-sensitive help

Last activity 06-13-2019 09:29 AM
Michael Lowry's profile image
04-13-2018 04:36 PM

The Java User Interface offers world-class context-sensitve help throughout the application. Typing F1 anywhere in the application directly displays help information (documentation) relevant to the frontmost or currently highlighted element. The Automic Web Interface should have equivalent or superior capability.

The Open Help function in the system menu in the upper right corner of the AWI window works fine. It does not, however, open the help page relevant to the currently displayed screen. F1 help in the Java UI does this, and it’s a huge time saver.

Legacy enhancement request ID: PMPER-1729, opened October 2016.
See also this thread in the Automic Community discussion forum: Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Comments

05-18-2018 12:48 AM

As Developer the context-sensitive help ist a must-have.
docs.automic.com is a step in the right direction.
the AWI help is a step backwards, unfortunately.

We are in the process on migrating our AE from V10 to V12.
We have V12 installed in DEV and recently made the decision to not upgrade our Java UI but move everyone(250 users) to the new AWI.

I was dissapointed to see how poor the HELP work on the AWI, even it it brough uses to here, it would help.

The scripting tool tips and context sensitive help missing is just horrible.  I have to teach scripting in a couple weeks and I am dreading it in AWI.

The not working feature of context sensitive online help should be fixed as fast as possible. I can unterstand that restruction of online help is needed in new product versions.
In productive environments the need of working online documentation is a cost factor. Whenever the developer have to search in the onlinedocumentation he can't do his work. Well OK it may be only some minutes, but the minutes add on a workday and they add with the amount of developers.
I think you unsterstand the need of efficient workflows.

I started beeing Automic Administrator on April 2017. The F1 Context Help Function is a big win while learning the Script Language. I am sad to know that i will loose this Feature with the next big Version. This Feature is exemplary and you are about to throw it away

Delivered in V12.1

Hi,
with 12.1 we made the following improvements:
- direct access to help chapters via "User - Open Help" menu item on the top right corner
- direct search on all script functions via context menu "Search in help" in sheets (Pre-Process, Process, Post-Process, ...) that can contain scripting

04-26-2018 05:13 AM

Context-sensitive help was indeed delivered in v12.1, but activating this feature requires selecting Open Help from the menu in the upper right corner.

This makes the feature somewhat less intuitive and usable than the equivalent capability in the Java UI. In the Java UI, it was possible to activate the context-sensitive help function simply by pressing the F1 key.

This should also be possible in the AWI. See Keyboard shortcuts for frequently-used commands.