Idea Details

#FOKUS Externalize AWI configuration, so it does not get deleted when undeploying

Last activity 05-22-2018 04:41 AM
Carsten Schmitz's profile image
04-13-2018 04:37 PM

If one undeploys the AWI, e.g. for updating to a new version, and does not backup the configuration (uc4config.xml etc.) manually, the configuration files get deleted automatically.

The configuration should be externalized, so it is not wiped out by undeploying/redeploying.

Comments

05-22-2018 04:41 AM

Robert Schausberger left at the end of 2017 so that's why his userid is missing 

05-22-2018 04:31 AM

Oh ok, thanks for provding that background: Yes, I was wanting to "at-mention" Robert some time ago and could not find him on here. Would you happen to know if he's on the forums and I just can't find him, or is there some wider issue with his forum account and/or "userid"?

Cheers!

05-22-2018 04:23 AM

agreed. I just wanted to make sure that all comments were there and Robert's disappeared as his userid doesn't exist any more.

It's a pity that everything came in with the same date but we could not find a way to fix that easily. 

Hopefully all good going forward.....

05-22-2018 03:26 AM

Hi.

Not wanting to nitpick, but since these answers are now out of order due to the Automic/CA migration, I wish to point out that the first response (by me) in this thread is actually the response to Robert's suggestion. Just so that if anyone comes here looking to vote, it does not create the impression that -Dcom.uc4.ecc.config.dir is actually a fully fledged solution.

05-19-2018 12:14 AM

Replacing a missing comment by @Robert Schausberger

Hi,
this is already implemented with AWI 12.1

ArgumentWhen do I use it?Example
-Dcom.uc4.ecc.config.dir=To change the path when installing manually

In a Tomcat installation, the default path of the configuration files is

<webserver>/webapps/awi/config.

Let's suppose that you want to store the configuration files in the C:\AWI_config\config folder. In an installation with Tomcat you must add the following attribute to the CATALINA_OPTS environment parameter

CATALINA_OPTS="-Dcom.uc4.ecc.config.dir=C:\AWI_config\config\"

-Dcom.uc4.ecc.autoinstall.dir=To change the path when using the ONE Installer

In a Tomcat installation, the default path of the configuration files is

<webserver>/webapps/awi/WEB-INF/autoinstall

Let's suppose that you want to store the configuration files in the C:\AWI_config\plugins folder. In an installation with Tomcat you must add the following attribute to the CATALINA_OPTS environment parameter

CATALINA_OPTS="-Dcom.uc4.ecc.autoinstall.dir=C:\AWI_config\plugins"

05-18-2018 12:46 AM

I can not edit ideas. Please prefix this with the #FOKUS" tag for me  and please assign to the "Automation Engine" category. Thanks!"

#FOKUS

forgot to add, can't edit idea ...

Great Idea!

This can be copied from the Request Manager Settings, here its possible since ever :-P

To whom it may concern:

Setting this is an option in 12.0 and 12.1, it's documented here.

Thanks, we will try this for the next upgrade. Can it be made the default to point outside of the tree that gets undeployed, too?

Plus, I suspect this has always been there, not just with 12.1? Or are you still implementing things in 12.1 with the moniker ecc? ;)

@Robert Schausberger:

Okay I just tested this and unfortunately it is not all that useful and my point of this idea still stands. Here's why:

The config directory contains several things including themes the logback config the uc4config.xml. Only a few files were created or modified by me in fact it's just uc4config.xml and the logo.

The parameter to Catalina works but it simply diverts the entire directory to some new location. So to use it you have to copy the ENTIRE contents of config to the new location. You can't just place the handful of files the client modified into the diverted location then you get a HTTP 503 and AWI won't work.

But if you copy the entire contents how will you benefit or even know when Automic ships new config files? This is always a problem for config files (unless you'd have a proper update mechanism that looks at changes on file level) but at least please break it down by having cascased loading on file level, meaning take everything in the diverted directory and everything that does not exist there, take it from the original distribution. The way it stands now when you bugfix e.g. the themes, people who don't want their uc4config.xml wiped and therefore relocate the entire directory, won't benefit from theme bugfixes either. Unless the client diffs each and every file, which is much more work than securing those files one has changed.

Even clearer with the autoinstall dir - how will anyone benefit from bugfixes to one of the many Automiic-shipped jar files if one has to duplicate the entire directory to a location that (then) won't be updated unless I manually md5sum each jar file and start replacing those that have changed, by hand, with each update?

Diverting entire config directories, especially with themes and whoknowswhat in them, without cascaded loading is, sorry to say, not good design.

Best,
Carsten