Idea Details

UMP - storing media gallery in DB

Last activity 05-29-2019 10:11 PM
DCAlmeida's profile image
08-25-2016 10:06 AM

By default, UMP stores documents and media files on the file system of the server on which it’s running. 

Clustering the UMP (multiple UMP servers) and according the CA documentation we must to create a shared folder and make a link from the secondaries UMPs.

After many tries we cannot make this works so, we researched a little and we have found a solution: store the media files in the database.

As I said in the beginning, by default the UMP stores this on the file system but you can also use an entirely different method:

• Advanced File System Store
  • CMIS Store (Content Management Interoperability Services)
  • DBStore (Database Storage) ----> what we are using
  • File System Store (CA UMP's default)
  • JCRStore (Java Content Repository)
  • S3Store (Amazon Simple Storage)

So, why I opened this as an idea? Because CA doesn't supports this customization but as long your database supports BLOBs of sufficient size to cover your media needs, this is an easy solution and it works very well, now we don't have to create any link neither change folder permissions.

Just add this line at the bottom of the portal-ext.properties file:

dl.store.impl=com.liferay.portlet.documentlibrary.store.DBStore

It could be great for customers other methods to store the files as we are doing...and update the documentation.

Comments

08-26-2016 07:07 AM

It depends. Before that, please tell me: what background do you want to change?

There is media from Liferay and from UMP and there's some diferences.

For example, they told you that all the media files are stored into a table. Wrong! By default and from umpMedia table you got:

This table is just to the Image Gallery for Dashboard portlet.

I have changed the logos from many UMP organizations and all these media is not stored into umpMedia! There is another table where some type of media are stored: "DLContent" table (this point only applies if you changed the method to store the files like I presented above).

If you could provide more info about what you want to change maybe I can help you.

BTW, in a standalone UMP you can find media into "<UMP Path>\probes\service\data\document_library\0\0" but I don't know if there are some registry of these into a DB table.

To view the files properly you should change the file name/extension from 1.0 to the name of the folder:

In this example I must to change "1.0" to "76128.jpg" (copy the "1.0" file to another folder...).

08-26-2016 06:34 AM

Hi Diogo,

Can you please tell me the path of your UMP file repository? I wanted to modify a background and, as I didn't find the path, I openned a case. They told me that all the media files are stored into a table on the SQL server (table umpMedia).

Thanks,