Idea Details

Let Spectrum manage devices by SNMP only (disable Ping necessity)

Last activity 12-17-2016 10:12 AM
c.fieres's profile image
08-08-2016 07:21 AM

Today, whenever one Needs to manage a device more sophisticated than with Ping only, Spectrum relies on SNMP. Unfortunately, SNMP Management implies simple Echo reachability. Today, this is not always the case; even though this sounds surprising, vendors seem to Strip down their Management stack to ignore ICMP Echo and implement Password proteced SNMPv3 capabilities only. Also, it might be a question of an enterprise's security policy to block ICMP traffic through a Firewall to prevent exploits.

It is possible to reduce Spectrum's Management requirements to Ping only ("Pingable" model type), but there is no "SNMP only" model type Derivation Point. Although Ping and SNMP compromise a reliable couple of protocols for device Management, the idea is to have a per model choice of disabling Ping necessity so that SNMP is used exclusively to Monitor a device, the Administrator being Aware that any flaw in SNMP responsiveness results in a contact lost Alarm since no simple protocol such as ICMP echo/reply can be used to check Overall connectivity to the infrastructure. To have ICMP in Addition to SNMP should be Chosen at discovery time, i.e. in the "model by ip" and "model by Name" wizards, and should be editable as a boolean Option in the device's Information view afterwards.

Comments

08-11-2016 10:22 AM

This is a reasonable request...

08-09-2016 04:46 AM

Correct. that is for discovery console only and "new model by ip / name" are not affected by them.

08-09-2016 04:39 AM

This is true for (Auto-) Discovery - Manual modelling via "new model by ip" and "new model by Name", respectively, are IMO not affected by These Settings.

08-09-2016 04:13 AM

For new device discovery, there is an option in discovery console something like do not ICMP first (don't remember exactly what is it called). If you select that, it will only perform SNMP poll for discovery of device.

08-08-2016 11:24 AM

Another little Spectrum gem that I'd never seen. Many thanks Rob and Jason. Just tested this and it works a treat.

Christain and I both thought this attr needed to be added but hey it's there all along :-)

08-08-2016 07:57 AM

Gee, that's interesting - never seen this Attribute nor had someone on good old SPECTRUM Mailing list been Aware it existed. It works as a charme for existing models, but using "new model by ip" still Needs Ping reachability, as Long as you do not set the Attribute to "false" as a model type Default, which, in return, sets all your future models to use SNMP only. So I will edit my request and state clearly that it Needs to be an Option initially set at discovery. Thanks for the hint!

08-08-2016 07:41 AM

Rob is correct:

support_ICMP  0x11d3d               Boolean

Cheers

Jay

08-08-2016 07:30 AM

There's a model attribute called supportICMP (or close to that) that is enabled by default. Set it to false on the models you don't to be pinged and you should see the behavior you are looking for.

-Rob

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.