Idea Details

merge to custom htmpl file modifications when apply webengine patches to Service Desk

Last activity 05-31-2019 02:10 AM
Chi Chen's profile image
08-05-2011 03:56 PM

currently when a Service Desk webengine patch installs some htmpl files that are customized in the site\mods
directory the Service Desk administrators would need to manually recustomize the customized htmpl files based
on the files from the patch. This adds a lot of maintenance work as many webengine patches would need to be
installed.
If the patch install can automatically merge the changes to the existing customized htmpl files, that would be great.

Comments

03-15-2017 01:51 PM

I am marking this as a duplicate of Ability to migrate web forms (htmpl) from one release to another  as what is planned is a merge utility that should help with this process.

10-22-2015 12:03 PM

A merge system like what has been suggested would be of massive help. We are currently running through an upgrade from 12.7 to 14.1 and there are a lot of changes we have to merge into our custom files.

While CA looks into a merge utility for HTMPL files.  We use 3 applications to help merge the bopcfg to the site/mods files that make the merge process easier.

1. ExamDiff

2. UltraEdit

3. UltraCompare

10-17-2014 12:29 PM

I absolutely agree with you.

08-23-2013 06:00 AM

I totally agree, woud make clients life much easier.

02-20-2013 12:39 PM

So, for us Administrators who are not programmers, when a patch needs to be given to a customer, why couldn&#39;t CA Support also offer to do the &quot;merge&quot; process for the customer?  (as part of their services)  <br><br>(I am definitely not qualified to do that myself)

08-18-2011 02:29 PM

I agree that it would be nice if the system could do this for you. Unfortunately, patch technology is still limited to being able to only update a file from a known image to a new image. If the target file does not match the source file used when the product shipped, the patch mechanism cannot proceed. When a defect is found, the support team needs to create a patch that can be used by any customer that has that version, so the starting file image for the patch has to be limited to the original, unaltered, HTMPL file.  <br><br>Since the release of CA Service Desk 12.0, the product team has worked to minimize changes that significantly alter the structure of the files, which hopefully makes the process of viewing the differences (with tools like windiff) and merging the changes in a controlled manner a bit easier than in some earlier versions of the product.