Idea Details

Spectrum UIM Integration - Asset Information

Last activity 03-18-2019 01:48 PM
jguth's profile image
09-14-2016 10:50 AM

The purpose of this idea is to request that asset information collected within UIM be presented to Spectrum so that we can reduce swivel chair activity by NOC or other end users of Spectrum. UIM collects things like OS/Release/Service Pack level which is not presented in Spectrum. From a Spectrum perspective, all we know is that an entity exists within UIM, the model is very generic "NimsoftHost". Within the Information Tab -> Asset Information, why can't we see the same information collected in UIM?

Example information presented within UIM:

OS Type: Windows
OS Name: WindowsServer-2012-R2
OS Version: 6.3.9600
OS Description: Service Pack 0 Build 9600

Use Case:

We need to route trouble tickets to different groups based on OS type. There is no current intelligable way for a user in Spectrum to determine the OS type/release information on a host without opening UIM or some other method. Ideally, when an alarm is raised, we would configure the event to look at a Spectrum attribute to determine the OS type and route that alarm acccordingly.

Additional thought - include the user tags as well.

Thanks for you consideration.

Jeremy Guthrie

Comments

03-18-2019 01:47 PM

Hello Community

Is there any update on this topic?  This would help a lot to people like me
who have integration with spectrum.

Jose.

04-19-2018 09:27 AM

Hi CA,

User tags at device model (as device attribute) would be great. 

Any update about this?

Tks,

VW

01-30-2017 05:52 AM

Hi Jeremy, 

We are currently working on the enhancement to get the alarm user tags attribute from UIM in Spectrum. For the asset information you mentioned, some of them are already available but not shown, while some of them will need changes. We will get back with an update on this one shortly. 

Regards, 

Sheenam

01-27-2017 09:50 AM

Any update on this request?

09-14-2016 01:44 PM

It's either by name, IP Address, or a combination of both. In practice, the integration will not create a new NimsoftHost model if a SystemEDGE_Host model already exists (even if it exists on a different landscape than you have configured for the UIM ingration). 

09-14-2016 01:43 PM

Ah good. Thanks!

09-14-2016 01:38 PM

That's good to hear...  but still, it seems odd that the basic host information is not shared.  How are devices being reconciled between UIM and Spectrum? 

09-14-2016 01:31 PM

Yes Kip. All of the fields that we want are in cm_computer_system:

os_type, os_name, os_version, os_description

We are working toward an automatic SQL dump from UIM and a method to do model writes within Spectrum to get some of this information over; however we feel this should be apart of the base level integration.

09-14-2016 01:29 PM

MAC Address is apart of the integration already.  Fear not Chris. I was just going down the list of items within the Information view in the UIM portal when writing this idea.

*Edited that field out of the original post.

09-14-2016 01:27 PM

I haven't done my integration just yet, but I am working towards it.  I was expecting that this basic level of information about a host was being shared back and forth!  If it's not, that seems like an oversight in the development of the integration and should be fixed immediately.  That's the kind of information I was planning to use to create my GCs in Spectrum.  If this isn't part of the integration, I'm really hoping someone has some suggestions on how to work around this. 

PS.  I just reread the OP... Is MAC address REALLY not part of the shared information set in the integration???

09-14-2016 12:23 PM

Is the data shown in the information tab stored in the CA_UIM DB so it could be called up by an external product?