Idea Details

Allow Classic Workflow for incidents and request

Last activity 08-21-2015 12:13 AM
ca.portal.admin's profile image
05-17-2011 09:06 AM

Classic workflow is actually quite simple, and powerful. It is very low overhead from an administrative perspective. simple request would greatly benefit from this where IT PAM may be a bit overkill.

Comments

08-21-2015 12:13 AM

Hello Christa,

I can't answer for Roger, but I can give you my "best guess" based on experience with Service Desk Manager since version 4.0.

SDM doesn't tend to "throw functionality out." Instead, it will add in new functionality and leave the old functionality in plcae. The Classic Workflow has been around for years, and will remain around for years to come. Even improved from time to time, as per this change.

It may not be up there with the "latest and greatest" in terms of Workflow, but then there is PAM for that. As far as a simple workflow "which gets stuff done" it serves a need.

If you have suggestions on improving it, then by all means open up a specific Idea here on CA Communities and drum up support for it. The enhancements go where the customer demand is.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

08-20-2015 06:14 AM

I've been using classic workflow quite extensively in the past couple of years.  It is a brilliant idea that it is available on incidents, requests and problems as well now.

However, what is the future for classic workflow?

08-18-2015 12:38 AM

Great News. I just knew it.... thanks!

08-06-2015 11:41 PM

This is really handy in 14.1 - is there any chance of the classic workflow addition being backported to R12.9?

08-06-2015 11:31 PM

Oh wow!  Great news!

This has been on people's wishlists forever!

Thanks, Kyle_R.

05-03-2015 09:38 PM

Brilliant news that this has been added in 14.1 CP - I can't wait to use it!

04-15-2015 02:33 PM

This Customer Idea has been delivered on Wednesday, April 15, 2015, in CA Service Management 14.1.01 (Cumulative Patch 1).  Thank you!

03-25-2015 10:21 AM

I literally cant wait for this to be released ... 

01-29-2015 08:08 PM

No.  (I agree, having classic workflow available for incidents and requests would be great – even though PAM is available).

01-29-2015 01:33 PM

Has this been included within SDM 14.1 ?

10-03-2014 09:02 AM

Would be an excellent option in the next release, especially on requests...

10-01-2014 09:44 AM

I thought this was in 12.6 already until I read this thread and looked again.  I knew there was a Workflow Tab so I assumed it worked the same as Changes.  After double checking I see that what is stated above is actually accurate and I agree with everyone here.  My management has stated numerous times that Request Management should not be in Change tickets but due to the Classic Workflow we have both Request Management AND Change Management using Change tickets.  I thought we'd be able to move over to Requests but since most of them use Classic Workflow, I now realize that I can't do that.  I agree with everyone above.  Classic Workflow should be an option in at least Request tickets.

01-27-2014 01:24 PM

This idea is currently planned for next release - SDM 13.0; though no confirmation at this point in time regarding its inclusion in next release.

01-24-2014 11:07 AM

Hi,

We are waiting to hear about Implementation of this idea. Is thare any timeframe CA Product team will complete review of this idea and come up with decision. Client really waiting for to use classic workflow for Request Module.

Thanks
Yogesh

12-17-2013 02:57 PM

I support this idae. Client does not want to login to new app or for that matter leave the request form to approve the request. Classic Workflow will solve this issue for request. Considere this - Client can approve Change within ServiceDesk while for request approval they need to access Task list. This is confusing to end users/analysts, when we have one tool, then why should prodcut force them to use 2 different paths for process.

02-20-2013 12:19 PM

To add something to my previous comment, when the request, incident or problem ticket does need to be re-routed to another team to do their part, it makes reporting on the volume of tickets a routing group has done inaccurate, when your report is based on the routing group on the ticket after it gets resolved/closed.

02-20-2013 12:12 PM

I too would love to have the classic worfklow also aailable for incidents, requests and problems.  We have too many cases where one team has to do something to fulfill a request or resolve part of an incident, and then they have to re-route it to another team to do their part.  <br><br>And I also agree with the one-to-many relationship suggestion for the workflow tasks.

11-14-2012 08:28 AM

We too believe having classic workflow available throughout the SDM product would prove of great value.<br><br>The PAM workflow implementation is just not user friendly enough (loging in to PAM, no nice task per task overview on ticket level nor a clear view of what you are approving in PAM in case tyhere are tens of tasks assigned to you etc etc) so our customers always ask us to implement classic worklow.<br><br>This is tricky since it often means we need to push them to the Change module in SDM.<br><br>The good thing is that we can still have PAM action macros linked to classic WF tasks which opens up a whole other world, one we use a lot already in our implementations today (as a CA partner SaaS provider) and one we would love to see expanded to the Request, Incident and Problem modules in SDM too.

09-13-2012 12:18 PM

I will admit I am a newbie but I do have extensive experience with Remedy and workflows in it.<br><br>I would like to see a one to many relationship built for workflows.  For example: I could have a workflow called &quot;standard&quot; and associate it with many categories.  If I make a change to the &quot;standard&quot; workflow it would propogate to all categories using it versus having to make the same change in every category using the &quot;standard&quot; workflow.<br><br>This would eliminate alot of administrative overhead on the administrators of Change.  Btw ITPAM is not required in 12.6 as we are using it today.

08-06-2012 05:32 PM

Much of the workflow that we need is very simple. One example would be when a Request needs two levels of approval. More powerful workflow tools, like CA Workflow and CA Process Automation are overkill in this regard. Classic Workflow would be perfect for these basic needs.<br><br>I understand that there would be some programming involved to implement this enhancement but it is not a situation where a new methodology would have to be created. All the concepts and logic already exist for Change Orders and Issues.<br>

03-30-2012 02:38 AM

From a current point of view that should be quite easy to implement. Anything that is needed can be ported from chg or iss to cr/in/pr with very few changes in the copied MAJ/MOD/SPL files. The only thing that I&#39;m not 100% sure about is the code in the compiled SPL files, but from what I can see at the moment even these code parts should not be the big problem. Also, since CAWF will be obsolete/un-supported in the near future there should be - at least - one integrated workflow function, preferrably the &quot;Classic WF&quot;.<br>We are quite experienced with Classic WF and would love to use it also in cr/in/pr ticket types, because this would minimize the amount of tools involved and it would prevent two different ways of thinking and cofiguring the &quot;same&quot; things.

11-18-2011 12:41 PM

<p>The Product Management team does not have any immediate plans to discontinue the basic workflow function (some call it &quot;Classic&quot; or &quot;Standard&quot;) included in CA Service Desk Manager.  However, there is a fair amount of data and coding changes that would need to be made to associate this with incidents and requests. We will keep an eye on this idea to see how much broad support the idea has with the community.</p>

11-09-2011 12:24 PM

<p>Interesting as I believe I just heard that Standard WF would go away when we migrate to 12.6 and would then need to use PAM.  Guess I&#39;ll find out more at CAW.</p>