Idea Details

CA Gen Support for Newer Browser Standards - F24234

Last activity 06-13-2019 10:12 AM
kevgo's profile image
01-28-2015 07:55 AM

"Support" for IE11 whether on Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 appears to be limited to a Quirks document mode as the <!doctype> declaration is not supported.  This forces IE11 to run in a IE5 compatibility mode.  We have a requirement to move newer browser standards and not rely upon quirks mode.  My understanding is document modes will not be supported in IE12.  If newer standards are not supported in the near term our applications will no longer function and meet our business requirements.

Additional Info:

Document modes and compatibility with Internet Explorer 11

Defining document compatibility (Internet Explorer)

Specifying legacy document modes (Internet Explorer)

2 major compatibility changes in IE11 you need to know about

Comments

03-01-2017 04:01 PM

This idea has is now within the CA Gen plan. Implementation details to follow.

Guidelines for Ideas:  https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-gen-edge/blog/2016/11/10/we-appreciate-your-ideas

10-19-2016 03:18 PM

01-29-2015 06:59 AM

Whilst I am sure that you would want CA to ensure support for new browsers in their Web Generation/WebView products, just to add that Rapide already supports all current JavaScript enabled browsers.

Support for mobile platforms raises an interesting topic about responsive design, since you then have to deal with a wide variety of screen sizes and orientations. This is an area where Gen's design tools are lacking since the Window Designs in Gen require you to specify a single screen size and then position each control based on fixed sizes and co-ordinates.This means that you have to design the windows with a minimum supported size, which results in the application only looking good for that screen size; unusable for smaller screens and not optimal for larger screens.

Web and mobile applications should ideally use Responsive Design approaches where the layout automatically adjusts to the browser or device size and orientation. Whilst this can be achieved in Gen by programming the size and position of every control using action diagram methods triggered by a resize event, in practice the overhead in both development time and runtime make this impractical.

To continue my plug for Rapide, it has been designed to support responsive design. The Rapide Designer plug-in allows the developer to specify layout properties that define how control sizes and positions are adjusted dynamically. You can see this in action in the Controls Demo. It also supports mobile platforms, both using the mobile device's browser and also native applications for iOS and Android.

This is just one example of the many issues that Rapide addresses in moving from old style GUIs to more modern multi-platform implementations. We will be discussing more of these in the upcoming seminars.

01-28-2015 05:50 PM

Information about IE12 is still in flux - but from what I've read, there'll essentially be an IE12 that supports legacy APIs (so quirks mode, ActiveX, etc.), and then there's Spartan (yet to be product named) which ditches the legacy baggage and is far more standards compliant.  Though it may be the new IE12 is just a partitioned off portion of Spartan ( Project Spartan and the Windows 10 January Preview Build - IEBlog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs ).

However, I agree with your premise - CA should be writing to modern, standardised HTML and not to any specific browser.  They use libraries like YUI for WebView already, which probably hides a large portion of browser issues.  So I would suggest that what they should be doing is writing clear cut, standards compliant, modern web code, which would have the additional benefit of allowing them to support more than one browser vendor (and possibly mobile as well).