Idea Details

Popup message box in front of OneClick

Last activity 20 days ago
Karsten.Ballandis's profile image
11-14-2014 04:06 AM

Hello,

at the moment it is possible to inform our customers with OneClick-Web page. The information icon for the customer is in the lower, right corner:

MessageNotification.PNG

This little green plus is the sign for the customer and none see this because it is to small / inconspicuous.

My wish would be a pop-up window that opens in the foreground. The best way would be that the user must confirm this window only to work with OneClick further. This forces the user to read the information.

Why do we need this function?

We MUST inform our OneClick user before we MUST shut down the server. This users are on different locations and it is not possible to inform all. Thus, the user has the time to log on to a different OneClick server.

This function is very friendly for the user (not administrator) and safety a better acceptance of OneClick find as if the session is simply terminated!

This function should by optional.

Karsten

Comments

02-21-2019 12:23 AM

This is Currently we are looking to make it available in next release, we have started to offer Beta Validation for the next release let me know if interested to participate in Beta 

Thanks, 

Amit

02-19-2019 06:30 PM

Hi Amit,

What release is this planned for?

Thanks

M

11-02-2018 09:59 AM

This is currently being worked on and is targeted for the next release of Spectrum 

Thanks, 

Amit

11-02-2018 09:27 AM

Hi, is there any new development for this topic?

Thanks

09-04-2018 11:22 AM

Hi All, I don't know if having a popup alert that interferes with the operation of the console is a good idea.  We utilize the alarm screen in a vidwall environment where if a message blocks the usage then the alarm screen then the staff would be inconvenienced in having to constantly log in and clear the alarm.  The most I would ever use it for would be to let people know that either a Oneclick  or SpectroServer was being restarted. I don't see al lot of other need beyond that. That is why I had suggested over 20 years ago when the first Oneclick came out to the developers then, that they send a popup similar to the "NEW ALARM POPUP ALERT" feature in Preferences would be ideal. You could set duration and transparency so the message would popup and then go away, not impacting the Oneclick client operation, but letting everyone know something was being worked on.  For those just logging in, to get the attention of the user that an old message exists,  instead just a little green plus sign that no one notices they could make the comment cloud at the bottom change to blinking red. Once the message was read then red blinking would stop and go back to neutral. I guess someone is finally looking at this seriously.  Its a shame, I'll probably retire before I ever see it. 

09-04-2018 04:12 AM

Hi,

generally the sending a message to users logged in is a function of limited use.

Not only because the current implementation requires the user to be logged in and to recognize the not easy to notice icon on bottom right corner, but also in what overall situations this would be used. The only real use-case for the "send message to logged in users" I can think of is if there is an immenent restart (of OC, SS, MLS, ..) ahead. But even minutes later the message could be obsolete as other users could have logged in - and not being notfied unless the same message is sent again.

I think the overall idea of this is to have ability to bring a message/notification to all users, more in the fashion of a MOTD rather then a live message. Something which pops up when OC is started and needs to be acknowledged by the user or even if it is just a very visible button on the top menu which is flashing/highlighted if there is a news message/notification and stops if the message was read. Basically, this is to inform users about upcoming events, like updates or similar.

Whether this is based on the current message function or not is of course something for you to decide, however, it would still be nice to have ablility to notify  and offline users in the same way.

09-04-2018 01:11 AM

Dear Robert,

Thanks for your feedback. Before proceeding further on this development I would like to clarify few qeuries:

1. Currently the design of this feature is to send messages to the selected clients only from the Client Details page.   FYI, the Client Details page only shows the logged in users at that moment and given this limitation we may not be able to send it to non logged on users. In order to achieve this functionality it may take some decent amount of code changes both in OC webserver side and OC client side.

09-03-2018 01:11 AM

Hello Amit,

nice to see that it continues.
It is possible to display the message/text in the pop-up window. If only a message appears, it will cause the window to close but not read the message.

The message should be sent to individual but also to all logged on clients. Both as an option. And as Robert writes another option even for non-logged in user.

And yes, this is very very useful for updates, shutdowns and so on .... because our clients work geographically very distributed and it is very difficult to inform all.

09-01-2018 12:29 AM

Thank you for the comments, Let me take this back to the team.  I will keep the community posted 

Best Regards, 

Amit

08-31-2018 10:53 AM

Would it be possible to have this also for users which are not logged on at the time the message is sent? So once they open the OC, they get the same popup as long as they have unread messages?

alternatively:

Can we enhance this idea with a MOTD popup everytime when OC is started, which also needs to be acknowledged in the same way ?

Above would be very handy for planned shutdowns, updates or other information OC should read.

08-31-2018 10:43 AM

Dear Spectrum Community Users, 

Based on the Idea, we have developed  below  use-case 

Use-Case: Admin sends a message to selected clients through OC webpage, on the message arrival at the operator side a pop-up dialog box appears as above indicating “ New Messages has Arrived! ” and the chat icon also changes with a + sign as indicated above. Till user clicks on the OK button of the pop-up dialog window he cannot access the OC client console, he clicks on the OK button and then he can check the new message or continue with his work.

I have enclosed a screenshot of a prototype please share your feedback directly on my email Amit.Mohanty@ca.com

Best Regards, 

Amit

08-30-2018 10:48 AM

Dear Spectrum Community Users, 

Thank you for keeping this Idea alive. We have taken this idea up for review internally and will respond back with details around feasibility and next steps 

we expect to share our response on or before the end next week 

Regards, 

Amit  

08-30-2018 03:19 AM

56 upvotes and not a single reply/statement on it

08-30-2018 03:03 AM

Hello CA,

is this part of the new 10.3 version? After nearly 4 year, when I opened the idea, it should be possible to implement this.

Thanks

03-21-2017 07:05 AM

It's really sad this is still not implemented. 

Has anybody tried to manipulate the jnlp file to get at least some kind of popup/warning message when staring OC ? This would already help alot

03-21-2017 06:43 AM

Hi CA,

any updates on this idea?

It is very intransparent. When was it put under review? By Who? Status updates? Nothing

03-14-2017 07:03 AM

Any update on this? This would be a very useful feature. As it stands, the "send message" functionality is largely useless, the chat icon is far too easily missed.

02-02-2017 04:26 PM

We shouldn't have to do all that work. They have pop-ups for the alarms, they should have a configuration selection that allows pop-ups for the Oneclick Messages.

02-02-2017 02:21 PM

One thing I've done in the past was to put the message or outage time in a custom image which replaces the 'Spectrum oneclick' default image that pops up when Spectrum starts (which is the one you get with the Java client and the one that appears on the landing page!

02-02-2017 12:27 PM

I agree 1000%, this has been a issue for me for over 10years. Seriously.

01-30-2017 07:08 AM

Hey CA, could we get an update? 

12-30-2016 03:16 AM

Any update on this?

04-19-2016 05:08 AM

This actually used to work in the old days. I think Spectrum 7 is when it broke but that's a long time ago Can't remember too well!

07-24-2015 05:50 AM

I already created an idea for exactly this use-case.

OneClick User Message with automatic Pop-Up Window

Mayebe PM can merge the votes in their list as well

07-24-2015 02:37 AM

Hallo,

I have created a similar idea, too.

Have a look at: Improve notification method for 'Send Message'

Maybe both ideas can be merged.

Regards,

Rene