Idea Details

Improvement to Spectrum Network Configuration Manager NCM

Last activity 05-31-2019 02:22 AM
Uwe Waechter's profile image
09-26-2014 10:09 AM

Hi all,

the fundamentials of the NCM are OK but there are still missing some important features.

critical functions:

- allow for variable usage/substitution within script parameters based on Spectrum model attributes

example: capture_running_script <ip> <user> <pass> <enablepass> <timeout> ${attribute0x1234} ${attribute0x3456}

- allow for variable usage/substitution within NCM policies to check for config content based on Spectrum model attributes

- ncm support via secure domains

this is the reason why it is not possible to use NCM in MSP and enterprise enviroment. We still have to use other tools from competitors :-(

other improvements:

- custom device families shall have precedence over default existing device families in any case

- NCM policies shall ignore the device family and rely on the global collection solely; impact: reduce the amount of policies needed

best regards Uwe

Comments

08-17-2018 03:25 PM

Hello, we make heavy use of NCM policies for CA Spectrum.  However, one critical part that is missing is the ability to edit the Device Family (DF) of existing policies.  We have several hundred policies and now want to consolidate DFs.  But if we do that, we'll render these policies to be useless since if the devices are moved from an old DF to the new one, that field will be blank.  This screenshot shows what is desired:  a drop down box by Device Family to choose a different DF for an already existing NCM policy if that needs to be changed.  Thank you for your time.

04-22-2016 12:37 PM

The combination of being unable to override families (Cisco IOS, Cisco IOS -SSH Capable, plus my own to catch the other IOS devices that neither of these encompass!) forces every policy for IOS devices to be replicated 3 times! This is especially annoying since there is no ability to duplicate an existing policy - it must all be re-typed for each of the 3 families (V9.3.x)

04-22-2016 12:31 PM

This idea has been under review for quite a while.  Is there any news?

11-25-2015 06:19 AM

Attributes as script parameters would be very usefull!

11-19-2015 01:37 PM

I would ask that CA take a look at the capabilities and functionality that products such as Solarwinds and ManageEngine put into their NCM products to see where Spectrum NCM is lacking as well. 

04-29-2015 02:17 PM

Thanks for posting the idea for CA Spectrum. We are currently reviewing this and will soon provide an update.

Thanks,

Nagesh

04-16-2015 05:46 AM

Regarding NCM via SDC, there's also another idea with that exact request:

https://communities.ca.com/ideas/102996036

@Product Management: Please add the votes from this idea and the other one =)

01-05-2015 10:01 AM

Especially like the idea that custom should always override the built-in definitions!

12-03-2014 08:59 AM

Agreed.  NCM is in need of a complete overhaul in my opinion.

10-21-2014 09:25 AM

I too would like to see more improvements with NCM as I still have to use Orion Configuration Manager as it is just plain easier to use than Spectrum NCM.