Idea Details

Add filtering to dialog boxes

Last activity 05-31-2019 01:44 AM
Anon Anon's profile image
06-24-2014 07:18 PM

Many of the dialog boxes displayed while using the CA Gen toolset have long lists of items.  It would be very helpful if each of the dialogs with lists provided a method of filtering the list so that fewer choices are displayed.  For example, when you want to edit an Action Diagram and there are hundreds of common action blocks available that could be edited.  A filtering capability would reduce that number by only showing action diagrams whose name matched the filter.

Note that this idea came from the members of the European user groups at the user group meetings held in March, 2014.

Comments

07-25-2016 05:58 PM

Delivered with Gen 8.6

02-23-2015 04:46 PM

Stacy, could you enter this idea of filters in CSE dialogs separately as this idea is targeting toolset dialogs.

02-23-2015 04:44 PM

This idea is planned for 8.6.  For the first release, we'll probably do filtering on the Action Diagram lists.  For on-going incremental releases we'll do some of the other ones.  Please indicate what other TOOLSET dialogs you'd like to have filtering on.

10-02-2014 12:49 PM

The Model List and Subset List windows in the Encyclopedia Client would be good ones to add a filter to.  There are filters on many of the other windows in this client but not on these two.

10-01-2014 05:40 PM

No worries, all done, the idea has been created.

10-01-2014 05:26 PM

Daniel, 

Great comments and really helpful.  I definitely agree that the action diagram names list is one that really begs to be filtered.

I wonder if you could create a separate idea for choosing views that contain attributes of the correct domain in a SET statement?  I'd like to focus this idea on just dialog filtering and deciding which dialogs should be filtered first.

09-29-2014 07:10 PM

From my perspective, on the day to day bread and butter of Action Diagramming, the most useful would be:

* Action Diagram name list - it's common to have hundreds (even thousands) of action blocks to choose from

* Entity/Workset selection dialog (when adding a view) - I know of models with dozens to hundreds of entities, and being able to trim this list down would be great

Additionally, I'd like to see some level of automatic filtering being available, if possible:

* For a SET statement, choosing "attribute view", I'd like to see only the entities/worksets that contain an attribute of matching data type.  If I'm SETting a timestamp, then offering me entities/worksets with no timestamp attributes doesn't help me and can just increase the noise.

From an appearance perspective, I guess it depends on what you want to deliver.  The filtering offered in the CSE clients isn't particularly useful - it appears to only support a "Begins With" operation, when I almost always a "Contains".  I'm partial to a "Filter..." button which pops up a dialog allowing me to enter my criteria, but allowing an in-place text entry also allows you to show the results of the filter as the user types, which can be quite powerful (and lends itself to what web applications do these days, and so what users come to expect in some ways).

Wildcarding support is quite useful, and would be something I'd like to see.  As a first suggestion, I would suggest that there is an implicit '*' at both start and end of the inputted string (i.e. a Contains operation), unless the user specifies a wildcard themselves - then you should take only the wild cards supplied.  That would allow us to still be able to do a "Begins With" or "Ends With" function, which can be incredibly handy (e.g. list all component action blocks ending in "_CREATE").

09-29-2014 05:45 PM

This idea of filtering dialogs in the toolset is getting quite a few votes.  I'm wondering which dialogs you'd most be interested in seeing filtering on first and what that filtering would look like.  For example, perhaps we could first tackle the Action Diagram name list dialog that comes up when you open an Action Diagram and have a field at the top of each list that, when typed in, would filter the corresponding list by the first letters typed and/or using wildcards such as '*' and '?'.

09-26-2014 01:17 PM

bkelling, could you add this comment about making adding qualifiers to the READ EACH statement easier by having a "last selected view" option as a separate idea?

06-30-2014 08:03 AM

I like htis idea.  Something similar that would increase productivity is to automatically position at the last used view.  When clicking in a large READ EACH, for instance, in and action diagram that has many views, you have to find the same view many times in order to add qualifiers for different attributes.  I would like to have an option to use the 'last selected' view right away.