Idea Details

Make it possible to remove custom mapped attributes/traps

Last activity 12-17-2016 10:09 AM
lilah's profile image
10-20-2016 02:50 AM

Hi guys and gals,

Whilst it is now possible to remove MIBs which have been added via MIB Tools, it still isn't possible to remove mapped attributes/traps via MIB Tools.

Some attributes and traps are added from a MIB which are no longer necessary, or were simply added for experimentation.

The only way method I've seen to rollback these changes is to perform an SSdb restore. I'd prefer it if you could just navigate to the MIB, and click on a button within MIB Tools to remove it from there (or better yet, concentrate all custom attributes/traps in a single window).

Feel free to pitch in if you think there are other aspects to such a solution.

Comments

11-15-2016 03:47 PM

Yes, Ralf. 

You'd have to do a catalog load to any additional DSS in the environment to bring them all up to date.

11-14-2016 09:09 AM

I think the primary SpectroSERVER synchronize only to his secondary SpectroSERVER not to all primaries in the DSS.

11-14-2016 08:00 AM

Doesn't the MTE propogate changes to the environment on next SS-DB backup?

11-14-2016 07:31 AM

Yes, for example the mte should be able to work online and change the complete distributed environment, like the mibtools do.

In worst case the mte should say the modification require a restart of the SpectroSERVER(s).

Two simple enhancements for the MIB Tools.

- let us choose the developer id (default for compability: 0xfff0, 0xffff - writeable for everyone with mte or a customer developer id)

- let us choose the derivation point (default for compability: SNMP_MIBS, GnSNMPDev, ...)

11-14-2016 06:10 AM

I agree that MTE should be rewritten in something more modern, and for god sake: remove the mapping attribute part of MIB Tools, adding attributes at the root level of all models is a non-sense and not part of the best practices at all. It's something 90% of people are using inappropriately without being aware of consequences.

11-14-2016 04:59 AM

Idea: "remove mapped attributes/traps via MIB Tools"

MIB Tools do the "add" Part like MTE do for Attributes and ECEditor do for Traps.

When the mibtools will be enhanced they do more Parts from ECEDitor and MTE and the development do things more than time. For example the MIB Tools and MTE import MIBs, with one super tool you had only one MIB Compiler/Parser.

A small workaround for deleting attributes could be to make the developer Id "0xfff0" (MIB Tools) writable for everyone in mte.

11-14-2016 04:30 AM

Why would you add MTE though? It's a large tool that doesn't integrate much with Event configuration and MIB Tools. Besides, MTE requires shutting down SS to configure. 

11-14-2016 03:21 AM

may be one super Tool should replace: MIB Tools + Event Configuation Editor  + Model Type Editor