Idea Details

Add a notes field for maintenance mode

Last activity 05-31-2019 02:00 AM
Anon Anon's profile image
04-06-2011 08:24 AM

Ever wonder why a component is in maintenance or hibernation mode?  Me too!

It would be great if there was a seperate notes field that was linked to maintenance/hibernation mode that the user that placed the device in that state could update.  That way, when others are looking at that device in Spectrum, they know why the device is brown.

Also, the user should be able to add notes to the schedule when they schedule the maintenance mode that will appear when the device is brown.

So why not use the already existing model notes field?
1. That field is static, so even when the device is moved out of maintenance, the model notes field would still have the stale input in it.
2. In my organization, we are already using the model notes field for other purposes.  I am sure that we are not alone on that.

Comments

05-19-2016 09:19 AM

Hello JanLemmermann,

Due to some other high priority items this got pushed out . This idea is still in our radar and we will pursuing for future releases.

Thanks,

Nagesh 

05-19-2016 08:27 AM

What is the status of this? There have been a couple releases since October 2014.

10-31-2014 01:51 AM

Hello All,

Given the high demand and votes, we are lining this up to be considered for our next release.

Regards,

Kiran Diwakar

10-10-2014 03:09 AM

Having a field to store the reason for the maintenance is really a good idea! I was going to implement a private attribute for that purpose.

We also use the "tag" trick described by franktonjes, because of the side effect of the maintenance mode that stops polling the device (so no more statistics collected by sslogger for example) which we don't always want.

08-24-2014 04:22 AM

We use a custom attribute to 'tag' the device and use that to filter out devices in maintenance mode. We don't use the built in maintenance mode, as this doesn't allow us to see what is going on with that device during maintenance mode. We just place the device in other filters so we can still see alarms for it, but the team dealing with alarms don't have that on their main display. This also helps for example if someone from the Telco wants to test if what they are doing affects it.

08-15-2014 04:17 AM

I would absolutely appreciate to see a comment field for the maintenance mode, as we ofthen have to search the eventlog / detailed event log reports to see who has put a device in maintenance mode and afterwards have to investigate for the reason outside of Spectrum. It would save both, time and work to be able see the reason for maintenance mode on the first sight.

11-05-2013 10:23 AM

Hello Adam,

So are you expecting Spectrum to remove the text entered in the notes field automatically when the device is back to normal?

Kalyan

11-04-2013 07:32 AM

A good request, but it will have some impacts on the default usage of the product. Would this still be relevant for folks? Comments welcome so that I can restart discussion with my architects.

Regards,
Kiran Diwakar

08-13-2013 02:01 PM

This isn&#39;t a perfect solution, but we require all maintenance to be scheduled, and I try to get people to fill in the Description field for the each schedule with an explanation, preferably a request or trouble ticket number.<br>

03-14-2012 01:48 PM

Alarm status doesn&#39;t work for longer term alarms, because that will get flushed out of ddmdb when the alarm gets older than the max event age for ddmdb.  It needs to stay in ssdb.

09-09-2011 08:08 AM

Hello, Adam.<br>When you set up a maintenance mode, you generate an brown ALARM.<br>So the way is to write the reason to &quot;Alarm status&quot;.<br><br>Lukas<br>