Idea Details

Renaming Action Packs in all Usecases

Last activity 05-31-2019 02:26 AM
Juergen Schenker's profile image
04-18-2019 04:53 AM

We have the problem that we have created an action pack that provides artifacts from our 
repositories. We have now changed to another repository and rebuilt the action accordingly.
We would now like to rename the action pack, so that no misunderstandings arise among
the users.
Unfortunately it is not possible to rename the action pack as a whole.
Cloning the Action Pack or manipulating the XML would be time-consuming, as we would have
to customize almost all workflows.
As an interim solution, we have edited the title of the Action Pack and the Actions
accordingly.

With regards,

Jürgen Schenker

Comments

05-24-2019 05:07 AM

Hi JuergenSchenker82444843,

when you try to rename the Action (= the workflow) did you make sure that all the workflows in which this Action is used are not in status active/running/blocked.. or open for editing? All these workflows must be deactivated and not open for editing (by anyone) and you must hold the AE-permissions to edit the workflows.

I can successfully rename a "used" Action and the new name shows up in the Component-workflows were the Action is used.

My versions:

Automic Web Interface 12.2.1.GA02-dev-feature-12.2.1-GA02-81471
Action Builder 3.1.1-9600

AE (PWP) 12.2.1+build.1539358807521

05-22-2019 09:15 AM

Hi Michael.
The picture shows what I have called "manually handled" in my last answer.
What I tried was the following: I moved to the Process Assembly view and there to the Explorer tab.
I searched for the action pack and navigated to the workflow I wanted to rename.
I clicked on "Rename" and the dialog of your screenshot appeared.
Then I changed and saved the title. This is not a problem and works well.
When I try to change the name of the workflow, I get a big problem.
Then, when I go to an application's workflow and look for that action pack's newly renamed workflow,
I'm told "the workflow does not exist or was renamed." In this case, I have no choice but to replace
the old workflow with the new one and then to refill all promptsets.
Since we have about 100 applications that need manual editing, this would take several hours,
so I would like to have an automatic feature for it.

If I have a mistake in reasoning or misunderstood anything, I would ask You to elaborate Your thoughts. With regards.

Jürgen Schenker

05-16-2019 06:42 AM

When I rename an object in AE I can specify if the renaming should take place at all places......

05-10-2019 08:18 AM

Hello Michael.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I´m afraid, that these proposals will not solve our main problem.
In this way, it is possible to rename Action Packs, but versions of the Action Pack that are already used in applications are not renamed and need to be manually handled (due to cloning). I must replace the old actions with the actions from the new/ cloned action pack for every application. What we want is a method of renaming an action pack and automatically renaming all instances of the action pack on the mandant.

With regards

Jürgen Schenker

05-09-2019 10:26 AM

Idea 1 - using Action Builder)

1. Create a new Action Pack with the desired name
  2. Clone all needed Actions and specify new Action Pack as "parent"

Idea 2 - using Process Assembly

• rename the scripts, prompts, workflows, includes... of the Actions

new names must still match with the Action Pack name to avoid problems

05-06-2019 08:40 AM

Hello Paul,  We have created a custom action pack that serves as a shell for the artifactory action pack from automic. 
This is necessary because artefactid and groupid are used to bring or locate artifacts in the repository   So it would be sufficient if we could only rename custom action packs.

With regards

Jürgen

05-06-2019 08:18 AM

Hi Juergen,

did you create a custom action pack ? Or are you referring to renaming action packs in general?

Thanks,

Paul