Idea Details

smtracedefault.log filename to contain the [Host], [Pid] and [Date]

Last activity 06-04-2019 11:55 AM
SungHoon_Kim's profile image
03-02-2016 09:56 PM

When the smtracedefault.log is configured, we only need to specify the full filepath to smtracedefault.log.

When the log gets rolled over, it becomes smtracedefault_YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.log

What I would hope to get is smtracedefault_PID_YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.log

What do I gain from this?

I can remove [Pid] and [Date] fields from the profiler setting.

Imaging if you are getting GB of trace per minute, this really counts!

To improve it further, it would even be better if the filename can pickup the hostname.

smtracedefault_HOST_PID_YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.log

So, we know from which server it was generated from.

It would not hurt to give the logfile the above format at creation and need not be smtracedefault.log at first then only rename it when it is being rolled over.

Comments

05-24-2017 06:06 AM

Thank you for your contribution of an enhancement idea to the CA Community. CA is continually working to improve its software and services to best meet the needs of its customers. Your input is vital to that effort. The CA Single Sign-On Product Management team has reviewed your suggested enhancement. Based on current roadmap priorities and/or the limited amount of community support for this idea over the last year (please see this document describing how we are reviewing ideas: https://communities.ca.com/docs/DOC-231170123), we are not accepting this idea into the product backlog. Therefore, it is being moved to a “Not Planned” status.

03-22-2016 07:22 AM

Alright. point taken.

it would be nice to have the options for dating instead of numbering, but they are moving it all to numbering so...

still you have some validity... switching vote to yes, lets give the options on log naming.

just an fyi, it'll be a pita to cross compare logs and impossible some analysis without certain fields.  but that is going to end up being your issue as CA Support.

03-21-2016 06:33 PM

Hi, Josh.

Thanks for your feedback, appreciated.

What I am proposing here is an option.

When we introduce something, we also need to respect what we currently have and build on top of it.

You can still add the [Pid] data field, no problem.

What I am trying to do is to reduce the trace log size and my use case has no relation to your use case.

What I hope to see enhanced is, an option to specify the trace filename using variables.

If I wanted to specify smtracedefault.log, I can add variables like %{pid}, %{Date}, %{Host} and things like that.

So, specifying the trace filename as smtracedefault_%{HOST}_%{PID}_%{DATE}_%{TIME}.log will generate something like "smtracedefault_mypc_123_20160322_092912.log".

And if I were to investigate your use case, then I will add [Pid] data field.

Hope that clarifies, I am not trying to permanently remove the [Pid] data field option.

03-21-2016 02:01 PM

erm....

What do I gain from this?

I can remove [Pid] and [Date] fields from the profiler setting.

Imaging if you are getting GB of trace per minute, this really counts!

incorrect.

if you wish to be able to actually use this for cross comparison, the above sentient fails to be true.

as this seems to be the basis of the entire post, the whole thing is now questionable.

when i was CA Support i found a way to repro a client issue causing MULTIPLE PIDS PER FILE WITHOUT RESTART.

the fact it is not designed does not prevent this, so....

03-17-2016 01:48 PM

Thank you for your contribution of an enhancement idea to the CA Community. CA is continually working to improve its software and services to best meet the needs of its customers. Your input is vital to that effort. The CA Single Sign-On Product Management team is reviewing your enhancement suggestion. The Community will continue to be able to vote on this enhancement idea.