Idea Details

Make the INSERT SQL statement cacheable

Last activity 14 days ago
Steve Rundle's profile image
01-21-2019 10:28 AM

The performance of Dynamic SQL INSERT statement against NETWORK schema is reduced because there is a lot of processing to generate an access plan for the Insert.

Other statements are Cacheable: SELECT, UPDATE, and DELETE SQL statements and the CALL statement.

I would like to see the INSERT Statement syntax cached in a similar way

Our large IDMS Network schema with over 1,000 records and 1,500 sets the act of reading the Schema from the dictionary to establish the access plan and create a temporary subschema is a lot larger than the eventual process to INSERT (STORE) the record. With the large quantity of update transaction, including INSERT statements this is a considerable overhead in terms of CPU, IO and consequent elapsed time for the transaction to complete.

If the Dictionary access and reading the schema was not required for INSERT then we could use SQL INSERT successfully with our Dynamic SQL and java application.

As an IDMS DBA I would like the Dynamic INSERT SQL statement to be cached for NETWORK schema so that transactions including INSERT SQL statements execute efficiently in a short time without unnecessary CPU and IO overheads.

Comments

14 days ago

Hello All,

We are happy to announce that we have produced the test APAR for this feature functionality.  If you'd like to test the APAR to enable SQL Insert Statement Caching and provide us feedback before we publish the feature, please let me know!  Please reach out to me if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Nakesha Newbury
Product Owner, CA IDMS

04-09-2019 06:50 PM

Hello All,

The IDMS Development Team is looking for customers to join us as we develop this feature.  By joining our Customer Validation Program, you are invited to monthly WebEx meetings to discuss and preview new features and enhancements and provide input.  You also get early access to test APARs and to make suggestions.  There is no requirement that you must test any APARs and participation on our monthly calls are voluntary and informal.

For this enhancement request, we will enable INSERT statements to be cached when parameter markers are used.  We'd value your feedback.  If interested, please reach out to me at Nakesha.Newbury@broadcom.com.  We look forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,

Nakesha Newbury

Product Owner, CA IDMS

03-25-2019 08:37 AM

Hi Steve - hope all is well!  

This idea has been researched and has moved to the "currently planned" stage.  Please note that ideas can be moved from any stage to not the "not planned" stage at Broadcom's discretion based on product direction, feasibility analysis or other factors.

Thank you for your continued support in shaping the future of CA IDMS, it is truly appreciated! 

02-28-2019 10:45 AM

Steve - thank you for submitting this idea. The product team has taken this idea in for review and further research. 

Community members, if you agree that this is a good idea please feel free to vote. Also please provide additional input using the comments section. 

Thank you!