Idea Details

Ca Directory Log Rotation

Last activity 11 days ago
William Patton's profile image
03-24-2015 07:28 PM

Problem Definition:

------------------------

We don't seem to see any options for changing the log rotation/retension for CA Directory. For example limiting the file sizes or changing the default number of logs from 10 to X.

Currently that is not possible. CA Directory logs cannot be restricted to certain size and/or to certain number as the customer is requesting.

The only thing we have is what you mentioned. i.e. Except ALARM and TRACE log, all other logs will rotate at midnight which you can also configure ALARM and TRACE to rotate to, if required.

Enhancement Request:

-------------------------------

This needs to be configurable for the users of this product so that we do not grow gigantic log files on the directory servers. Also during trouble shooting when collecting the logs so we are not FTPing such large files that we will then be required to split

Comments

03-07-2018 12:25 PM

As indicated by Justin, the log rollover feature was delivered in r12 SP18. Any future enhancements to this feature should be submitted as a new idea.

07-05-2016 08:24 PM

Hi GS,

With CA Directory, log file maintenance is left to the machine administrator.

On UNIX

I would add the following cron job to run as "dsa".

00 20 * * 0-6 find /opt/CA/Directory/dxserver/logs -ctime +15 -exec rm -fr {} \;

On Windows

Create cleanup.bat: forfiles /p "C:\Program Files\CA\Directory\dxserver\logs" /d -15 /c "cmd /c del @path"

In "Task Scheduler" schedule to run cleanup.bat nightly.

Cheers,

Justin

07-05-2016 06:58 AM

Hi Justin,

Is there a mechanism to delete logs over a certain period , eg 15 days. Customer doesn't want to endlessly roll logs until it fills up the disk. Is there any log retention control in CA directory 12.0.18 ?

Thanks and Regards,

GS

03-23-2016 09:32 PM

CA Directory 12.0.18 GA released on 10th March 2016, supports the rolling of log files. After further analysis it was decided to just roll log files based on number of lines.

A _HHMMSS suffix was chosen instead of a sequence number to be inline with other products and preserve order in a directory listing.

Please see the following for specific details:

Monitoring with Log Files - CA Directory - 12.0.18 - CA Technologies Documentation

04-20-2015 11:12 PM

I have added a story to the CA Directory backlog to support rolling of log files when a size or line number threshold is reached. Backlog items are evaluated before each release.

For the file naming convention, I believe the best approach would be to retain the timestamp and include a sequence number that reverts back to zero at midnight and is retained over a stop/start, for example, router_warn_20150419_01.log, router_warn_20150419_02.log, .... router_warn_20150420_00.log etc