Idea Details

UIM: Provide export/import options for MCS configurations

Last activity 13 days ago
Anon Anon's profile image
09-13-2016 07:57 AM

Currently MCS provides no option to copy data from a development environment to an production environment if those environments are separate UIM installations. As we use separate environments for development and production all probe configurations have to be entered manually on the production environment once they have developed and tested on the development environment. Manual copying is an enormous amount of work and as a result error prone and should be avoided.

Due to the large number of different (system) configurations we have over 50 different MCS profiles with some over 30 items.

The idea is to provide export and import options which can be used to export the profile from one host, just like the copy option allows taking a host as source, and import the result on a different UIM implementation.

Comments

11-01-2017 01:53 PM

Is there an implementation date set for this feature yet? 

03-17-2017 10:48 AM

What's the status of this? And what form is the solution taking?  I would suggest a minor redesign (might need to create a separate idea).  From my observations, it appears that a profile is associated with a "dynamic" object, like a server which could be removed or changed in some way, causing the link between a profile and server to be broken.  It doesn't seem like a stable/resilient design.  When that relationship is broken, I can't see the configuration applied from the monitoring tab, but I can see that it is in place from the metrics tab or with IM and in order to restore the view through MCS, I have to recreate the profile.

It would be preferable that the profile be named and stored independently of any target device or group.  This would allow one to link or copy the saved profile as needed and assign to a target, similar to a package created and deployed  through the archive in IM. 

11-15-2016 06:50 PM

This is a feature we have been actively working on, and we look forward to providing it in a future release.

Thanks!

Chris Whitman

Senior Product Manager