Idea Details

Documentation on configuring ADA/APM/CAPC/Spectrum/UIM to monitor CA products

Last activity 06-13-2019 09:47 AM
Stuart Weenig's profile image
02-25-2016 11:45 AM

Would like to have the CA monitoring tools be able to discover any of the _other_ CA monitoring systems running in an environment and configure themselves for appropriate monitoring of each package.

Barring that: would like documentation on which ports and components to monitor when monitoring CA tools (like ADA, NFA, CAPC, Spectrum, etc.).

Comments

08-07-2017 08:43 AM

Yes, i know it isn't built in today. That's why i put in an idea. The idea is: if a CA product knows about other CA products (because they're integrated a la CAPM/Spectrum or because they're data sources in PC) setup the self monitoring dashboards. If the right stuff isn't enabled to get monitoring communication to work, either push it automatically (like pushing the APM agent) or when the dashboard is displayed, pop up some helpful tips prompting the tool admin to make the necessary config changes to get it up and running. 

Essentially, I like the self monitoring dashboards. Just wish CAPM wasn't only self serving. 

08-04-2017 12:03 PM

Hi Stuart,

For monitoring CAPM health we support two options:

1) Self monitoring dashboards - CAPM monitors it's own internal health metrics and provides out of the box dashboards to display these metrics.  Docs provide guidance on 'what's normal' - see Monitor System Health - CA Performance Management - 3.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

2) APM agents can be installed on CAPM hosts - If you're licensed for CAPM, you have an entitlement to use APM to monitor CAPM.  Docs describe how to deploy the APM agent on CAPM hosts - see Monitor Server Performance with CA Application Performance Management - CA Performance Management - 3.2 - CA Technologie… 

With regard to using CAPM to monitor other CA products:

CAPM doesn't support any specialized capabilities to monitor application level metrics of other CA products.  However, if the hosts running these other CA monitoring tools are running on have an SNMP agent, CAPM can certainly monitor the health of these hosts.

03-29-2016 01:24 PM

I like the idea to have the CA monitoring tools be able to discover any of the _other_ CA monitoring systems running in your environment and configure themselves for appropriate monitoring of each package.

02-25-2016 12:10 PM

Sometimes we have to dream out loud... 

02-25-2016 11:52 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth. Going to add that to the original idea.

02-25-2016 11:51 AM

You mean like having the CA monitoring tools be able to discover any of the _other_ CA monitoring systems running in your environment and configure themselves for appropriate monitoring of each package??

I'd vote for that, too! 

02-25-2016 11:46 AM

It would be even better if ADA could query the PC for its datasources and automatically configure the applications.