Idea Details

Re-add a data source

Last activity 06-13-2019 09:44 AM
ICS Supportteam's profile image
04-11-2014 11:26 AM

Since CAPC 2.3.1 deleting and later re-adding a data source is not supported anymore.
An appropriate warning pops up when deleting the data source and the admin user does not have the appropriate role anymore by default.

However this function is still required
- when adding the data source for the first time and deleting again due to problems
- during upgrades when temporarily moving the data source to another NPC / CAPC in order to minimize down time
- when CA support may request a deletion of the data source to fix some problems
- temporarily testing of new data sources

Delete and re-add of a data source should be a standard process and has to be possible without loss of data.

Comments

08-14-2017 02:06 PM

Hey Folks,

I get why this is being requested but right now it's not something we feel comfortable committing to. There are a lot of technical and usability issues we are trying to work through so for now I'm going to put this into the wish-list category.

We'll keep our eye on it and we'll pull it in when the right situation presents.

03-03-2016 10:09 AM

Hi,

any news for this very important idea?

- Many users request the same change and point to the fact that CA support asked the customer in many cases to re-add a source !

- An option to NOT pull data from the data-source when re-connecting may eventually be enough.

- Dan's statement from 30.7. sounded like CA is going to implement this

Martin

07-31-2015 09:04 AM

Hi Dan, thanks for the quick response.

Something is happening and the idea is in some queue - that's good.

Looking forward for the next update.

Martin

07-30-2015 08:22 AM

Sorry I should have set to Under Review when I commented as we discussed with R&D. Our decision has been to focus on lifecycle features first and with 2.5 we delivered retirement and start/stop polling. The next highest priority is maintenance mode and then I would like to consider this request.

Sent from my mobile

07-30-2015 02:49 AM

Dan_Holmes

This one is more than a year old, still the status is NEW

What about the "polled item life cycle management" , how far has this developped?

03-11-2015 12:38 PM

Hi Stuart,

you're absolutely right. It's not fair from CA when they say "re-adding a datasource is not supported". This looks like a lame excuse because

a) in the beginning this was not documented at all. The message would only tell you that you may loose data but didn't mention that you won't be able to re-add the datasource.

Later they than improved the message - but see point b)

b) CA should know very well that due to some problems in their products, it's sometimes unavoidable to delete and re-add a data source and sometimes even CA support recommends this.

So this MUST BE SUPPOTED !

Concerning your question on the admin user:  It's about the "Administrator" role, which by default does not have the right "Delete Data Sources":

And concerning your comments on rules to build groups: that's a good approach and we do that at our customer.

However, still if you re-add the data source, all groups will be duplicated. This is not visible immediately because the duplicate groups can only be seen in the CAPC GUI under <Inventory > - <Data Sources> ...

The main problem than is: if the customer creates a custome report and wants to select the group, the system offers him 2, 3 or 4 groups with the same name and he does not know which of them is the "active" one.

Cheers,

Martin

02-11-2015 10:20 AM

I agree with this one... I've had to do this myself a few times and it's just not right. 

02-11-2015 08:24 AM

Yeah, this is silly. I can't count the times support has recommended that I delete and readd the data source to fix problems.

ICS, your comment about the admin not having access to the data source got me thinking. Are you talking about how you have to reassign privileges when adding a new data source? I wrote a blog post about that years ago. Just today, I had a thought about it that might mitigate the problem. Think about device groups, if you manually populate a device group, then deleting a data source can be really bad, because you'd have to manually repopulate that group when adding the data source back in. However, if you use rules to populate the groups, then deleting and readding a data source won't really matter to the groups because the same CIs that matched before the removal will match after the readd, restoring your group memberships. Product privileges are like static groups. They're statically maintained. If you delete a data source and readd it, you'll have to setup the privileges again. However, if it were possible to grant access to data sources based on rules, removing and readding datasources wouldn't break product privileges. You could create a rule for a single tenant environment that would grant certain roles admin access to all products. You could create a rule in a multi-tenant environment that would give certain users/roles access to a data source based on how you named the data source (ADA Master Console Company XYZ vs. ADA Master Console Company ABC).

02-11-2015 05:40 AM

Hi Dan,

any news in this area? This is really important, because we've seen so many problems coming from re-adding a data source.

Many severe symptoms we've seen at Bayer, but also issues at others customers.

And then CA support will reply with the standard answer "re-adding is not supported".

We know that. But that doesn't help because - as explained above - in many situations it's simply unavoidable !

The system must be able to properly handle this !

We are very surprised that so few users voted for this idea so far.

Thanks,

Martin

06-06-2014 01:13 PM

We are starting to investigate requirements for what we call "polled item life cycle management" which covers Add, Modify, Retire, Delete and I have included this requirement to handle data source delete and re-add - I am interested in any other feedback for this capability from the community