Idea Details

Modeling Gateway Import should not merge containers

Last activity 12-17-2016 10:10 AM
Marco Russo's profile image
09-07-2016 05:12 AM

Hi all,

when doing a modeling gateway import and the xml file contains containers with the same name, the contents will be merged into one container.

As an example, let's say we have different geographic locations and for each location a container, with subcontainers for different buildings, so our Topology would look like:  

- Los Angeles

- Main Building

- Device A

- Device B

- New York

- Main Building

- Device C

If a modeling gateway export of this topology is being done, and an import takes place afterwards, because both locations have a container "Main Building" the devices in both containers would be merged into one container, either underneath Los Angeles or New York:

- Los Angeles

- Main Building

- Device A

- Device B

- Device C

- New York 

I have been told this is FAD. In my Opinion, the design should be changed. The exported xml files contain a tree structure of the exact exported topology, and should be imported exactly this way. To prevent this behaviour, at the moment, the container names in export have to be changed manually and the containers will need to be renamed within Spectrum after an import to get the original topology. This leads to huge efforts needed in big environments when modeling gateway exports/imports are needed - Especially when migrating from Spectrum 9 to 10 for example. 

Please review / change the design of the modeling gateway import to never merge containers - or even better, make it configurable with a parameter. 

Best regards

Marco

Comments

09-27-2016 05:26 PM

I've scripted this in our deployment scripts. The thing is to look at the whole import file and build a structure view of the container structure beforehand and then work out what the topologyModelNameString should be for the destination folder. Then instead of just looking for a container with the same container name it looks if the TopologyModelNameString is also the same.

I've had issues where some containers are WAN or LAN instead of my preferred 'Network' container. You can't create Network containers under WAN or LAN containers via OneClick so I've had to also make sure the container I want is a Network one and then also as housecleaning I've made it check a container if it removes something from it. If it's Initial (contains no devices or containers in it - it removes it up to the highest level of non-empty containers - ie it will keep going back up the container structure and remove empty containers).

Not sure how they do it currently but definitely doable.

09-27-2016 03:44 PM

As a workaround, we've labeled closets as <building name>-<closet name> and buildings as <region name>-<building name>, but this is awkward and cumbersome, and this enhancement would be very helpful.